cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST25R3916 transferring power but not communicating

LltWc
Associate II

I'm working on getting the ST25R3916 to communicate with an NTAG215 on the target application, and had it wired up with the antenna today. When I send a measure amplitude command, I get 89 = 1.159 Vpp without a tag in the field (the same value I got from the NFC08A1 dev kit).

I have it sending an ALL request every 2 seconds, and when a tag is at the center of the field aligned with the antenna, I measure 49 = 0.637 Vpp when a tag is in the field, but no receive-related interrupt is triggered, just the same TXE and NRE interrupts as is typical during the 2s cycle.

Is 0.637 Vpp sufficient to communicate with an NTAG215? Is there anything else from the ST25R3916's perspective I can measure to debug?

1 REPLY 1
Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi LltWc,

measuring RFI levels will only indicate if the receiver of the reader could potentially decode a tag answer. The 0.6 Vpp is rather low, typically we recommend something in the 2.4-2.7V area. I don't have really experience with such low levels but I would not expect immediately it to be the root cause for non-operation.

I would start by using a field probe (could be ground loop of an scope probe attached to the tip to create a small loop. If you put this close to the tag you should observe both the reader modulation and the tag answer. Please verify first that the tag is powered and answering. The answer to the ALL request should start 86us after the ALL request. 

If unsure you can also share scope shots of this.

BR, Ulysses