cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STWBC86 -> Writing FTP (Few Times Programmable) from header over i2c?

AnkhInnovationsLLC
Associate III

Hello,

Looking through the data sheet for the STWBC86, there doesn't appear to be a way to write to the FTP (Few Times Programmable) memory, nor save individual configuration register values over i2c

Any register values are only written to RAM and lost upon reboot... No worries, use the FTP memory for the config, but there doesn't appear to be a command in the data sheet to either:

1. Saving register values to the FTP Memory one at a time
  2. Using an address to write the header values for config / patch to (nor the process, if it differs from just writing all bytes to the specified address)

If neither is possible which would be strange, what's the recommended process to program the chip at the factory?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Didier HERROUIN
ST Employee

Hello,

Sorry for the long delay, I can understand your frustation.

Concerning the FTP programming, you can find the answer in the GUI user manual:
https://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/stsw-wpstudio.html#documentation

You have 2 ways to modify the parameters:

- by changing the register values directly in the GUI : the new value will be applied on-the-fly (note that it is true only for the parameters which appear in black, the ones appearing in red must be modified through NVM writing). The registers will be restored to their default values at next power-off.

- by creating a configuration file (after register modification in the GUI, press "Save TX" command to create your file) and writing the files in the NVM using "Programming" menu of the GUI. This menu can be used to program the latest patch version if needed (default config file and patch file can be found here: https://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/stsw-wbc86fwbpp.html

For production stage, you can decide to create an unique Header file, using the "Header Generator" menu of the GUI. Then, both Configuration and Patch files can be loaded at once by your production tool (the driver and some instructions are available on Github: stwlc38/README.md).

Let me know if you have more questions.

Regards,

Didier

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
AnkhInnovationsLLC
Associate III

Bump, any one know a way to actually program it into non-volatile memory via i2c?

Strange its completely absent from the data sheet.

AnkhInnovationsLLC
Associate III

Bump

AnkhInnovationsLLC
Associate III

Bump

Hey @AnkhInnovationsLLC I am stuck at the same problem. Were you able to figure out how one could program the FTP of STWBC86? I have obtained the header file from STSW-WPStudio and I was thinking to use that header to program the chip. Any help would be appreciated. 

Nope, I'm still waiting on this thread for an answer from ST on how to actually do it via i2c.

Without it, I'm not sure you could even go to production with any configuration register changed, because the windows app is most likely looking for a specific USB PID as the USB to I2C bridge. 

Pretty annoying no one from ST has replied in > 28 days...

Kenadams
Associate II

yeah right? You might also have tried contacting them through Submitting an issue on the website. Did you got any help from them?

AnkhInnovationsLLC
Associate III

No answers from ST still on how to actually program the FTP memory on the STWBC86.

It is not in the data sheet.

AnkhInnovationsLLC
Associate III

More than 2 months since starting this thread and more than 1 month with an open ticket, got an escalation, then zero responses.

Jesus, ST has terrible support...

Didier HERROUIN
ST Employee

Hello,

Sorry for the long delay, I can understand your frustation.

Concerning the FTP programming, you can find the answer in the GUI user manual:
https://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/stsw-wpstudio.html#documentation

You have 2 ways to modify the parameters:

- by changing the register values directly in the GUI : the new value will be applied on-the-fly (note that it is true only for the parameters which appear in black, the ones appearing in red must be modified through NVM writing). The registers will be restored to their default values at next power-off.

- by creating a configuration file (after register modification in the GUI, press "Save TX" command to create your file) and writing the files in the NVM using "Programming" menu of the GUI. This menu can be used to program the latest patch version if needed (default config file and patch file can be found here: https://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/stsw-wbc86fwbpp.html

For production stage, you can decide to create an unique Header file, using the "Header Generator" menu of the GUI. Then, both Configuration and Patch files can be loaded at once by your production tool (the driver and some instructions are available on Github: stwlc38/README.md).

Let me know if you have more questions.

Regards,

Didier