cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stm32 software tool

Piyoosh
Associate

Hi ! 

I am very happy to start STM32F1 Series  for IOT projects. So i have experience of arduinoide software tool and STM32cube is new for me so which one will be best for smooth work ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Andrew Neil
Evangelist

As @TDK said, both will get the job done.

@Piyoosh wrote:

for IOT projects. 

You need to define that better.

If you're just using stuff that's already well-supported within the Arduino ecosystem, that will be a plus for the Arduino IDE.

But if you're using custom/new/unusual stuff, that might be easier with a "conventional" IDE such as STM32Cube.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

Use STM32CubeMX for peripheral configuration/code generation and STM32CubeIDE as IDE. They are both free.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
TDK
Guru

This is like asking if Windows or Linux is better. It's preference. And ultimately the best tool is often the one that you're familiar with. You can create competent programs using either tool.

However, STM32CubeIDE is used way more often by the community here and is therefore (and for good reason) going to be generally recommended overall. The Arduino IDE has a lot of simplifications that might make it easier to learn in the short term but will hold you back in the long term.

Buy a legitimate ST board, use STM32CubeIDE, and go forth and learn. There are plenty of examples. I would not recommend the STM32F1 series since it's so old, literally any other family would be better. Perhaps STM32WB.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

@SofLit wrote:

Use STM32CubeMX for peripheral configuration/code generation and STM32CubeIDE as IDE.

Surely, STM32CubeIDE now includes the functionality of STM32CubeMX - no need for separate tools?

🤔

Yes sure, I said that on purpose to highlight that originally the two tools are separated. Some users are using them separated.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Andrew Neil
Evangelist

As @TDK said, both will get the job done.

@Piyoosh wrote:

for IOT projects. 

You need to define that better.

If you're just using stuff that's already well-supported within the Arduino ecosystem, that will be a plus for the Arduino IDE.

But if you're using custom/new/unusual stuff, that might be easier with a "conventional" IDE such as STM32Cube.

Andrew Neil
Evangelist

@Piyoosh Has that answered your question?

If so, please mark the solution.

For further thoughts, see this new  very similar thread:

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubeide-mcus/library-and-example-experience-comparible-to-the-arduino-ide/td-p/658821