cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STW56N60DM2: Isolated back tab, or connected to drain?

JW2112
Associate II

Hello all,

I'm looking at the datasheet for the STW56N60DM2, and it's really not clear if the back of the FET is electrically isolated from the Gate, Source, and Drain. Typically, this is more clear in other datasheets I've looked at. Below is the only "hint" I can find that the part is isolated.

JW2112_0-1715867542156.png

The image below is from a different manufacturer, and they make it much easier to determine.

JW2112_1-1715867707583.png

11 REPLIES 11
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

What is not to be understood about the my statements?

The TO-247 always, i.e. always has the connection between the centre pin and the tab. This means exactly the same as: the centre pin of TO-247 is never insulated from the tab.

And: if the data sheet does not say anything about insulated, then it is not insulated.

Please do not try to interpret anything in my statements. The listed bullets only reflect what is not correct in the datasheets and what you read as a missing connection.

That means: STW65N60DM6 and the STW56N60DM2 have the back tab connected to pin 2.
And all other MOSFETs in TO-247 as well.

Clear now?

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

I understand. I apologize if I offended you.