Associate II
Posted on October 04, 2006 at 16:52

STR71 STR73 - Flash Programming

9 REPLIES 9
colosos100
Associate II
Posted on September 28, 2006 at 12:03

Hello all,

I red the flash controller pdf and I sill have some questions.

I think that ST STR73 and STR71 don’t offer any real production oriented Flash programming solution. JTAG cannot be directly used to program the Flash: a small boot code has to be downloaded into the SRAM prior to Flash programming (via UART). Even if it is mentioned that we can dwl into the flash thanks to ICP....

I may be wrong...so please how does ICP work ????

Regards,

Yo

[ This message was edited by: yo on 28-09-2006 16:02 ]

colosos100
Associate II
Posted on September 29, 2006 at 06:14

Please as I am trying to understand how to program the flash ... any kind of advice are welcome 🙂

even a trivial one as I am quite new into MCU world !

[ This message was edited by: yo on 29-09-2006 10:10 ]

kleshov
Associate II
Posted on September 29, 2006 at 09:22

I red the flash controller pdf and I sill have some questions.

I think that ST STR73 and STR71 don’t offer any real production oriented Flash programming solution.

Is that a question?

JTAG cannot be directly used to program the Flash: a small boot code has to be downloaded into the SRAM prior to Flash programming (via UART).

Not sure I understood the question. Are you going to use JTAG to program flash? What does UART has to do with this?

so please how does ICP work ????

Could you be more specific?

Read the microcontroller reference manual and the flash programming manual.

Regards,

- mike

colosos100
Associate II
Posted on September 29, 2006 at 10:59

I was wondering how to program the MCU for two particular tasks.

First for debug (ICP) or IAP, I can update the flash via JTAG directly or use UART or USB or CAN. I think I understood debug flash because I'm doing it with IAR... Concerning IAP, I think we can flash via UART, USB or CAN but I have to implement a bootloader for that interface (I saw that UART is explained on application note). Of course correct me if I am wrong.

Second for programming the flash on production phase (gang programming), with blank flash. For that task I don't catch. Is there a special interface like some are providing (FFPI)?? serial and parralel??

Or should I use the JTAG (ICP)??

By the way is there any software tool to flash the mcu like other manufacturer are providing? (SAM-BA for example)

Thank you for your help!!!!

That's very helpful for me....

[ This message was edited by: yo on 29-09-2006 14:29 ]

[ This message was edited by: yo on 29-09-2006 14:47 ]

kleshov
Associate II
Posted on September 29, 2006 at 16:48

Yes, you can program flash via any interface of the MCU. That's what IAP is for. Just keep the limitations in mind: during flash programming you can't execute code from the bank you are programming.

When the flash memory is blank, JTAG programming is the only option. I haven't seen standalone flash programming software from ST, but I'm sure you can buy one or write your own.

- mike

sjo
Associate II
Posted on September 30, 2006 at 08:55

Originally they both had a serial bootloader programmed in at the factory.

Only the str73/str75 offer this now, the str71x does not work correctly.

A solution for them both would really only be the jtag interface for production programming of new devices.

There are lots of options for jtag programming, from free to costly.

The simplest is a wiggler interface, and software such as Anglia IDEaliST (free) or openocd (also free).

The RLINK from Raisonance is also a good solution as the you only have to buy the dongle, software for programming is also free.

Hope this helps.

Regards

sjo

colosos100
Associate II
Posted on September 30, 2006 at 10:38

thank you all for your answer!!!

covertlife
Associate II
Posted on October 04, 2006 at 04:50

Hi sjo, does the Idealist software support Macraigor Systems USB2SPRITE or USBWIGGLER hardware programming devices?

info link here:

http://www.macraigor.com/hwproducts.htm

thanks.

sjo
Associate II
Posted on October 04, 2006 at 16:52

no sorry, it only supports the parallel wiggler interface. Or the usb interfaces from Amontec or Olimex.

Regards

sjo