cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DRM is missing STM for DFU

berriemaas
Associate II

Hi,

When I connect a digital radio via the USB cable, Device Manager should show under USB: STM Device in DFU mode.

However, it doesn't. Instead, I have an Other Devices: Digital Radio in USB mode, with a yellow triangle with black exclamation point. What do I need to do to get this to work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Peter,

I finally got it to work.

I tried to update the driver, and it finally gave me an error that my Memory was locked, and I should go into my security settings and unlock it.

I did, et voila, it is now working!

Thank you!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome @berriemaas, to the community!

Well, your question is a little confusing: you connect a digital radio somewhere and are surprised that it is displayed as a digital radio?

• What kind of digital radio is it?
  • What does it have to do with ST devices?
  • What type of USB port is this?
  • What do you want to achieve with the connection?
  • Which programme on which operating system do you want to use?

To be able to help you, you need a little more information than just saying that something "doesn't work".

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

How is it engaging this mode?

Have you loaded another driver or .iNF renaming the attached device?

What's the VID / PID of the presenting USB Device?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Hi Peter,

Thank you for relying to my post.

This is relating to a Baofeng DM1701, a handheld HAM radio. It has an onboard chip to communicate with the supplied cable through USB, so there is no chip in the cable (as most other radios use).

This connection is necessary to program the radio with the supplied software. https://www.baofengradio.com/pages/download, see picture.

Baofeng programming software screenshot.jpg

According to the manual and all YouTube videos I can find on it, once the cable and radio are attached to the USB port, Device Manager should show under USB: STM Device in DFU mode:

Baofeng laptop connected.jpg

However, this is what Device Manager shows me:

Baofeng Device Manager.jpg

So it shows the connection to the radio under Other Devices, but it will not show it as a USB connection, and without that, the programming software will not connect. Asking around on some HAM radio forums, I was told that it is a problem with the ST driver. But then again, I was also told there is no driver needed, Win recognizes it.

This is on a Win11 Home (no longer in safe mode).

I also tried it on my work laptop (Win11 Pro, without the programming software), and I see the same thing.

I hope this explains better what my problem is, thank you for your patience.

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Presumably, a special key combination must be pressed when switching on in order to enter boot mode. However, it is possible that a customised bootloader is used. As this is a problem with a digital radio from a Chinese manufacturer, it would be better to look for a solution with this manufacturer or in their forum, don't you think?

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi Peter,

I finally got it to work.

I tried to update the driver, and it finally gave me an error that my Memory was locked, and I should go into my security settings and unlock it.

I did, et voila, it is now working!

Thank you!