Did you mean: 

Programming mems sensors registers (reserved) -ISM330DHCX and IIS2DH

Shaun.t
Associate III

3 REPLIES 3
Shaun.t
Associate III

Hi

I have been testing the Steval-STWINKT1 board for sometime. All of a sudden, the chips - Both ISM330DHCX and IIS2DH seems to be dead. On id check, value returned is 0x00, The rest of the board is working fine. This has happened when I was programming the registers through SPI communication.

I may have inadvertently over written some reserved registers or something else. Is there a way to recover these chips by reprogramming the whole chip to default values.

Power OFF reset does not make any difference.

We are pretty concerned about such failure. It is very essential for us to know if it can be recovered as our development and chip selection depends on these issues.

No one from STM has replied regarding this issue, it is on working state for the past two months....

Not happy with the support level, stake is very high.

please share your experience on such issues.

Regards

Shaun

Hi Shaun @Shaun.t​ ,

Writing to reserved registers should not cause irreversible damage, because the OTP / flash writing procedure is not open (and therefore a hard reset is sufficient to set those registers to default).

The first thing I would check is the integrity of the SPI pattern with an oscilloscope, to understand if the 00 it receives derives from a problem on the MISO and therefore a piece that does not respond or if there is some problem upstream on those communication lines.

I would also verify that it has never exceeded the absolute max ratings declared in the datasheet on both Vdd and VddIO.

-Eleon

Shaun.t
Associate III

Hi Eleon,

I will attach an oscilloscope and do a bit of discovery.

Regards

Shaun