cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to develop an ultrasonic microphone array application. Is there a development board suited to this? The application would log recordings from 8 digital mems microphones to one or more SD cards.

DWall.2
Associate II

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well stock boards are going to focus on more general features.

The EVAL boards for ST have a some large pin headers, but usage is often conflicted, and you might have to disable on-board functions to accommodate.

The DISCO boards have Arduino shield connectors, but anything not exposed on those pins is likely committed to other functionality.

The NUCLEO-144 boards likely expose everything you'd need to pin headers, but conversely don't have anything on-board to provide micro-sd, flash, external RAM, etc.

Yes, so figure the microphones you're using, find those which provide for the best serial, and multiplexed transport.

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/training/technical/product_training/group0/d3/c0/b0/0e/fe/eb/40/a9/STM32H7-Peripheral-Serial-Audio-Interface_SAI/files/STM32H7-Peripheral-Serial-Audio-Interface_SAI.pdf/_jcr_content/translations/en.STM32H7-Peripheral-Serial-Audio-Interface_SAI.pdf

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

How are the microphones going to interface?

Only a handful of the EVAL boards have dual micro-sd sockets, look at STM32F769I-EVAL

https://www.st.com/resource/en/user_manual/dm00276567-evaluation-board-with-stm32f769ni-mcu-stmicroelectronics.pdf

DWall.2
Associate II

I think that 'how are the microphones going to interface' is my question. This is what I am trying to learn. I have read a bit about SAI and I2S. I'm looking for the easiest method to hook up 8 digital MEMS microphones and sample at quite a high sample rate. I am wondering if there is a development board that would be suitable for doing this. I would like to make a daughter board with my microphone array pattern and log the recordings. But I'm not sure where to start.

Well stock boards are going to focus on more general features.

The EVAL boards for ST have a some large pin headers, but usage is often conflicted, and you might have to disable on-board functions to accommodate.

The DISCO boards have Arduino shield connectors, but anything not exposed on those pins is likely committed to other functionality.

The NUCLEO-144 boards likely expose everything you'd need to pin headers, but conversely don't have anything on-board to provide micro-sd, flash, external RAM, etc.

Yes, so figure the microphones you're using, find those which provide for the best serial, and multiplexed transport.

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/training/technical/product_training/group0/d3/c0/b0/0e/fe/eb/40/a9/STM32H7-Peripheral-Serial-Audio-Interface_SAI/files/STM32H7-Peripheral-Serial-Audio-Interface_SAI.pdf/_jcr_content/translations/en.STM32H7-Peripheral-Serial-Audio-Interface_SAI.pdf

DWall.2
Associate II

Thank you. This was useful. I have bought a NUCLEO H7 board to get started.

Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @DWall.2​ ,

besides @Community member​ suggestions, please be sure to use a microphone with ultrasound capabilities, and that the sampling frequency of the processed signal is compatible with the ultrasound band.

-Eleon

DWall.2
Associate II

Thanks. I will initially try with ICS-41352 microphones. I would ideally like to sample at greater than 192 kHz. But if I can log 8 channels, 16-bit, at 192 kHz it's a good start. Do you know if this will be possible with the two SAI ports on the NUCLEO-H723ZG? I could always use more than one microcontroller, and I have read that the SIA channels can be synchronised. It is of course vital that I have precise phase timing because I am using the array for directional measurement.