cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find the serial number for an accelerometer?

Macneacail
Associate III

14 REPLIES 14
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

There is no serial number in accelerometers, you can only read out which chip is inside by reading the register WHO_AM_I.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Macneacail
Associate III

I suspected that was the answer, but I had said a short pray to the Norse gods. I am using MKI210 using a MKI109V3. It would be a nice feature as the accelerometers get put in specific places and tied to a SQL page, a unique number is nice.

Do you have an equivalent to the 109 with ethernet support, we want the acclerometers at a distance.

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee
There is no ready-made solution for such a sensor board with Ethernet. You can, however, take one of the many DISCOVERY boards with an Ethernet port and connect a suitable sensor board to it. However, you would have to write the software yourself.
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Macneacail
Associate III

0693W00000SuDPXQA3.pngSmiling to oneself, I had to write the software to read your 109 in a useful format. Your manuals assume a high skill set. The UNICO GUI Lite is a challenge. There is a long step from your board to this graph.

What is a discovery board?

The STM32F401VE on the MKI109V3 would have a UNIQUE ID code

Ethernet boards using an STM32 would have that, and presumably a MAC address

Perhaps one could port the MKI109V3 like design to an F407 and add Ethernet, or find a chip/board level Ethernet + PHY + SOCKET all-in-one type solution.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Discovery (DISCO) boards are relatively cheap evaluation boards.

https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/32f769idiscovery.html

This for example has Ethernet + POE + Arduino Shield connector, perhaps more bulky and costly than desirable.

Some of the NUCLEO-144 boards would be cheaper, and are more of a breakout board, with relative little in bolted-on functionality.

https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/nucleo-f429zi.html

If you could fabricate a simple accelerometer shield, these might be the way to go.

Macneacail
Associate III

Can I connect the 109 accelerometer directly to the discovery board? We are replacing 2400 USD devices, the cost is not high.

The people I am working with, were smiling at the elastic hair bands I needed to use to hold the little connector from the 109 to the 210. Do you have a clip to hold them in place?

The MKI109V3 isn't my circus, not sure if you can update the firmware, or what functionality you're using.

If I wanted to map it onto some cheap Ethernet platform, I'd probably see if the USB and a RPi would be the way to go.

For a NUCLEO or DISCO, would probably look if I can get the BlueTooth pin headers mapped to USARTs on the host board. Perhaps fab a simple shield routing pins, and mapping to the headers such that it would plug in, and screw down.

Hi @Macneacail​ ,

you might read the 2D code (with a 2D code reader) on top of the ISM330DHCX if you are using a STEVAL-MKI210V2K.

0693W00000SuP0GQAV.pngIn this way you have a 1-1 traceability of the device.

-Eleon