cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the MP34DT05TR-A microphone pick up sound from a 6-meter range?

mostafamdy
Associate II
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

At such distances, this is primarily a problem of the acoustic conditions of the surroundings. As the distance between the sound source and the microphone increases, effects such as room geometry, echoes and ambient noise play an increasingly important role.

The MP34DT05TR-A is also an omni-directional microphone, which is equally sensitive to sound from all directions, but this also increases the sensitivity to background noise and thus reduces the useful distances from the desired sound source.

The desired distance of 6 metres is not only determined by the selection of a single microphone, but also by the topology used (e.g. microphone arrays) and the subsequent processing (e.g. beamforming techniques).

However, I fear that the topic is too complex for discussion in the community and recommend discussing it with the local distributors or your local ST contact, if available.

Hope that helps?

Good luck!
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
liaifat85
Senior II

Here is the datasheet:https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/mp34dt05-a.pdf

But there is no mention of its range.

Thank you, @liaifat85. Are you aware of any other microphone that is suitable for voice control within a home?

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

At such distances, this is primarily a problem of the acoustic conditions of the surroundings. As the distance between the sound source and the microphone increases, effects such as room geometry, echoes and ambient noise play an increasingly important role.

The MP34DT05TR-A is also an omni-directional microphone, which is equally sensitive to sound from all directions, but this also increases the sensitivity to background noise and thus reduces the useful distances from the desired sound source.

The desired distance of 6 metres is not only determined by the selection of a single microphone, but also by the topology used (e.g. microphone arrays) and the subsequent processing (e.g. beamforming techniques).

However, I fear that the topic is too complex for discussion in the community and recommend discussing it with the local distributors or your local ST contact, if available.

Hope that helps?

Good luck!
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

-- and he dont want to pay even for a cheap super-cardioid mic...

https://community.st.com/t5/mems-sensors/recommendation-for-long-range-microphone-for-voice-capture-4-6-m/td-p/607001

@mostafamdy  ,  so try a cheap omni-directional microphone and maybe it works fine for your needs.

if not ....more expensive. 🙂

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

My friend, the amount of $200 for my business is too high. The customer will not be willing to pay for it

Thanks @Peter BENSCH :D I will search for a microphone array