cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L5CX ULD. Is Timing Budget equal to Integration time for Autonomous ranging mode?

AlexCloned
Associate III

When filling the struct in my app

typedef struct
{
  uint32_t RangingProfile;
  uint32_t TimingBudget;            /*!< Expressed in milliseconds */
  uint32_t Frequency;               /*!< Expressed in Hz */
  uint32_t EnableAmbient;           /*!< Enable: 1, Disable: 0 */
  uint32_t EnableSignal;            /*!< Enable: 1, Disable: 0 */
} RANGING_SENSOR_ProfileConfig_t;

I am a bit confused about the TimingBudget in it.

I followed function calls starting in the nucleo examples at

VL53L5A1_RANGING_SENSOR_ConfigProfile(i, &Profile);

And this ends up assigning the TimingBudget into a variable named integration_time !

integration_time = pConfig->TimingBudget;

later I miss the footprints of this integration_time when the api sends its value to a memory_buffer with the function "vl53l5cx_dci_replace_data".

Can you confirm this integration_time is the one used in autonomous ranging mode?

Then, in continuous mode, if I want to increase the timing budget I must just set up the proper ranging frequency, disregarding the Timing Budget value set in the RANGING_SENSOR_ProfileConfig_t struct. Right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

There are 2 ways you can do this. Tiimed mode, and Back-to-Back. If you are doing B2B, then choosing a TimingBudget will give you the frequency of the results. The sensor will consume all the time allocated to it and provide the answers

But if you want a 'quiet' period between the ranges, then you choose a ranging frequency. Let's say 1 range per second. And to save power, you can choose an integration time of 1/15 of a second. That way, 14/15 of the time, the sensor is just hanging around waiting for it's next time to run.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

There are 2 ways you can do this. Tiimed mode, and Back-to-Back. If you are doing B2B, then choosing a TimingBudget will give you the frequency of the results. The sensor will consume all the time allocated to it and provide the answers

But if you want a 'quiet' period between the ranges, then you choose a ranging frequency. Let's say 1 range per second. And to save power, you can choose an integration time of 1/15 of a second. That way, 14/15 of the time, the sensor is just hanging around waiting for it's next time to run.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'