cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L5CX: Info about target status

MBela.3
Associate

UM2884-Rev 3, chapter 5.5 Results interpretation, shows in table 4 (list of available target status) a short description of the target status 0 to 13 and 255.

Question 1: Our application sometimes also shows status 14, which is not described there. What is its meaning?

Question 2: Some of the short descriptions are self-explanatory, others are not clear. Is it possible to provide a more detailed description that explains the status in more detail, i.e. what it really means, under what conditions does it occur and what is recommended to avoid it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anne BIGOT
ST Employee

Hello,

Status14 is a new feature that has been introduced is one of the latest version of the FW.
It means that if the target separation is too close the 2nd target could be a false target.

Regarding the second question, the request has been raised internally.
Regards

Anne

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anne BIGOT
ST Employee

Hello,

Status14 is a new feature that has been introduced is one of the latest version of the FW.
It means that if the target separation is too close the 2nd target could be a false target.

Regarding the second question, the request has been raised internally.
Regards

Anne

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

Hello,

Do you have any additional information regarding target status codes? I am currently working with a fixture consisting of 3 VL53L5CX sensors at 8x8 resolution and a 15Hz sampling rate. We have a substantial amount of data, and we are encountering many target status codes that differ from the ideal code 5, with this deviation occurring at a rate of 80% under various real-world working conditions.

I have the feeling that we might be missing out on valuable measurements due to these target status codes. With a comprehensive explanation of these codes, particularly those that are not self-explanatory, we could make better sense of a significant amount of data. As we are in a stage previous to massive production of our product this could potentially lead to improvements in our measurement fixture and working conditions.

The sensor is indeed impressive!

Thank you.

AlexCloned
Associate III

I am not happy with the no-answers or selective answers to many interesting posts and inquirys in this forum.
Particularly interested in the continuity of this thread.

Thank you for your interest for our products and sorry for the delay to answer.

The codes are designed to provide a general idea of the status of a target. Therefore, it's recommended to use these codes as a guide, but also to rely on other information and observations to understand the full context

As per your request, I asked internally to give more details on status code in a further version of the UM but meanwhile I will try to give more details in this forum by end of this week.

Regards

Anne

Target 14 is generated and used by our internal algo's when target separation is too small for processing

rossco
Associate

I keep getting target status code 160. Does anyone know what this means? or know where we can find a more comprehensive list of codes?