cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vl53L1X sensor for outdoor applications - I understand direct sunlight is an issue. But what about other environmental considerations such as rain or snowfall?

chipmc
Associate II

2 REPLIES 2
John E KVAM
ST Employee

I went to Calgary one snowy day and tried to measure the depth of snow. Oddly the sensor saw right through 2 feet of snow and ranged on the tarmac below it.

While doing tests on the auto focus I created my own mini rain forest. Rain did not seem to affect the measurement at all.

But one customer wanted to use the sensor in a shower. Turned out that a really heavy shower stream combined with steam did affect the sensor.

But sunlight is a big issue. Oddly the sensor works just fine in the shade of a building on a bright sunny day. So if you have the ability to guarantee some shade the sensor will work.

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.
chipmc
Associate II

Thank you John. I am going to test this implementation that includes a lens cover from Hornix and a bit of an indent that should provide some shade. The application here is people counting in outdoor environments (likely to be shaded as they are in the woods).

0693W00000JMtRRQA1.png0693W00000JMtR7QAL.png0693W00000JMtR2QAL.png0693W00000JMtRgQAL.png0693W00000JMtRWQA1.pngI will start a separate thread but, I am running into issues using the Particle library as it is based on a Sparkfun implementation that does not include all the API calls needed for range interrupts. As you can see from the issues raised on this library, I am not the only one.

https://github.com/sparkfun/SparkFun_VL53L1X_Arduino_Library

Any chance ST can help here?