cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L5 Status code 2, when there is no target

Yunlion
Associate II

Hello,

I have connected a "VL53L5 Satel" board to my Arduino nano BLE board, with modified example code. It works fine with: distance/motion indicator in 4 x 4, continuous mode, ranging frequency 1-10 Hz ( i tried different f). But it only works fine when all the zones have targets. If there is no target at all or partially have targets, I get status code 2 for some zones. the zone number with "Status 2" varies from scan to scan. The explanation of status 2 is " target phase". What does this mean? How to solve it? Thanks for your help!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

When there is no identifiable target the sensor tries to tell you why. The error 2 is saying the data is so inconsistent that the sensor cannot determine a distance.

But the lack of a target is not an error. You simply pointed the sensor to an area where there was no object within the ranging distance.

In some situations you can treat it as having a target at 4M - the maximum. But that's up to you.

All the sensor is telling you is that in that direction there was nothing close on which to range.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
John E KVAM
ST Employee

When there is no identifiable target the sensor tries to tell you why. The error 2 is saying the data is so inconsistent that the sensor cannot determine a distance.

But the lack of a target is not an error. You simply pointed the sensor to an area where there was no object within the ranging distance.

In some situations you can treat it as having a target at 4M - the maximum. But that's up to you.

All the sensor is telling you is that in that direction there was nothing close on which to range.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'
Yunlion
Associate II

Thanks a lot, John! I follow your suggestion.