cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Must the I²C address of the VL53L3CX be changed after each restart of the unit?

FWerner
Associate

I have 6 VL53L3CX sensors connected via the same I²C bus. For this reason, the I²C address of each sensor must be changed as described in the UM2778 User's Guide.

Does this procedure have to be carried out each time the device is restarted or disconnected from the power supply, or will the new address of the sensor be permanently saved?

Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

There is no programmable ROM inside the sensor - so yes - you must change the addresses every time you boot if you have more than one sensor.

I know it's kind of a pain, but you only have to write the code once.

Sorry about that.

• john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Frak.1
Associate II

Hi,

If it is not included in the datasheet, just perform a fast test. Set address for one sensons, turn off the device. Then load new code without address initialization and try to talk with the sensor.

You can also write some precedure that starts at the beginnig of the code executions. It should try to talk with sensors for example get some values. If you can't get data, or data will be not received from some sensor, it means you have to perform initialization.

Regards

Hi,

thank you very much for your quick response.

The problem is that the sensors are SMD components and the circuit board to which they are soldered is not yet finished.

Therefore tests as you have described them are not possible at the moment. I will see if I can organize a breakout board to test them as you have described.

Regards 

John E KVAM
ST Employee

There is no programmable ROM inside the sensor - so yes - you must change the addresses every time you boot if you have more than one sensor.

I know it's kind of a pain, but you only have to write the code once.

Sorry about that.

• john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'
HElni.1
Associate II

Are you using the expansion board?