cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to physically distinguish between VL53L0-SATEL en VL53L1-SATEL evaluation boards?

FBass.1
Associate II

Reason for asking is that I need to determine which it is as I would like to make use of the ROI capability of the VL53L1 and my understanding is this is not supported by the VL53L0 range. I have the SATEL eval boards, but can for the life of me not remember which one it is as I bought it quite a long time ago.

Thanks in advance!

Friedl

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

There is an easier way. The VL53L1 has two gold squares. These filters were put on top of the lenses that are in the housing. The VL53L0 does NOT have those gold squares. Their filter is on the inside.

It's a lot harder to distinguish between the VL53L0, the VL53L3 and the VL53L4. Those chips have identical shapes. To tell the difference between them, you have to read the CHIP ID.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The board PCB1540 is generally identical for both of them, but you can use e.g. the dimensions of the sensors as a distinguishing feature:

• 53L0-SATEL-I1 (VL53L0CX): 4.4mm x 2.4mm x 1.00mm
  • VL53L1-SATEL (VL53L1CB): 4.9mm x 2.5mm x 1.56mm

The satellite boards should also contain exactly the same chip as the motherboard. To check this, you only need to start the VL53L0X GUI after you have connected the satellites to the main board. The GUI should recognise the sensors.

Hope that helps?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
FBass.1
Associate II

Hi Peter -

Thank you for the tip on the physical size difference. I will pull out my callipers and put them to the test 🙂 I am not using them with ST controllers so starting up the GUI is not possible unfortunately, unless there is a class or function I can run within the application code to get the info needed.

Alternatively I can of course just buy the VL53L1-SATEL board, then I know for sure :D

Many thanks, will let you know how it goes.

Regards, Friedl.

Hi Peter -

Referring to the images below, it is safe to assume I have the VL53L1_SATEL boards. The bad news is that it has to be my application code then 

Would have preferred to deal with a hardware error to be honest, haha.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards, Friedl.

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bjbJNQAY.png
_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bjbJSQAY.png

John E KVAM
ST Employee

There is an easier way. The VL53L1 has two gold squares. These filters were put on top of the lenses that are in the housing. The VL53L0 does NOT have those gold squares. Their filter is on the inside.

It's a lot harder to distinguish between the VL53L0, the VL53L3 and the VL53L4. Those chips have identical shapes. To tell the difference between them, you have to read the CHIP ID.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

Hi John -

Thank you for the feedback. I have since been able to get the ROI's working on the sensor and from the photos attach and your comment about the gold squares I can then confirm this is indeed the Vl53L1.

I am struggling to get consistent results thought. I am attempting to port the ST software to Particle.io. It seems to be working but misses some entry/exit events. I will put the blame for this squarely in my programming skills though 🙂 Still working on in, hopefully I will het it working consistently.

Many thanks!!

Friedl.