cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FoV and Zone Area for VL53L5CX ToF Sensors?

Alix
Associate

This is my very first post, so hello all! 

I got a VL53L5CX sensor from SparkFun and I've been playing around with it in the past few days - it seems to be surprisingly accurate and so far has exceeded my expectations.

One thing I'm struggling with is understanding what is the effective projected FoV.

I've placed the sensor in my ceiling, which is 2.5m tall, looking down. Since this sensor has a diagonal FoV of 65 degrees, I'm I right in assuming that the projected FoV on the floor is ~1.6m (2.5m is the height of my ceiling and 32.5 is half of the diagonal FoV)? And if so, would each zone in the 8x8 grid actually correspond to ~20cm2?

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bjwdOQAQ.png 

This is more or less in agreement with what I've seen empirically (~1.65m2), but for my use case I would like the sensor to capture an area on the floor of about 2.5m2.

So my two questions are:

1. Are my calculations correct? I'm a bit confused with what diagonal and square FoV mean in the data sheet. And if not, is there a formula that would give me an approximation?
  2. And if so, does this means that the VL53L7CX sensor (with its 90 degree FoV) would be able to measure objects in a 2.5m2 area on the floor?
    1. And would each zone in the 8x8 grid indeed correspond to ~31cm2?

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bjwjRQAQ.png 

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
Anne BIGOT
ST Employee

Welcome to the Community Alix !

Regarding the different FoV definition, you can find some details in the AN5894

It will give you an answer to the question 1. and hopefully to the question 2 🙂

Be carefull to the max distance the sensor can reach depending on the light conditions too.

Anne

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'