cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L8CH Example code to configure for histogram and get data

MBaum.7
Associate III

I want to use the VL53L8CH in histogram mode to distinguish between multiple reflective surfaces. I found a c-driver package in STSW-IMG043, but no useful example how to initialize the sensor and get data out (over I2C).

What I'am looking for:

1) initialize sensor and start ranging, with some example code to setup the histogram configuration

2) get histogram data over I2C

In the mentioned driver software there are a lot of functions, some of them are clear what they do, other are not clear, but I did not found an application in a software layer avbove which bundles these driver functions to a senseful initialization- or read method.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

You can find some example in the STSW-IMG043_ULD from here .

The en.STSW-IMG043_ULD\VL53LMZ_MassMarket_ULD\Examples\Example_12_cnh_data.c file is dedicated to cnh

If you download the package and unzip it,  then do the following :

• go to en.STSW-IMG043_ULD\VL53LMZ_MassMarket_ULD\CubeIDE_F401RE_Example\ and double click on .project
  • The project is imported in CubeIDE
  • Compile the project : OK
  • Flash the Nucleo board with the binary
  • Start TeraTerm and here is what you can see : distances and CNH for each zone

y

Hope this helps,

Anne

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MBaum.7
Associate III

Hi John

Thank for your answer. Water level in a cup, that's exact the use case I want to realize. And because of multiple reflective areas, a histogram would be best to recognize the liquid level without crosstalk of the cup bottom or roof. I do not expect that I will need many features of this sensor for that, just get out a histogram, perhaps reduced to a partial zone of the sensor area. 

Altough I understand that there is no sense to publish code for every use case, it would be good to have some basic functionallity examples.to see which of the bunch of functions are needed to setup a basic configuration and read data.

Hello,

You can find some example in the STSW-IMG043_ULD from here .

The en.STSW-IMG043_ULD\VL53LMZ_MassMarket_ULD\Examples\Example_12_cnh_data.c file is dedicated to cnh

If you download the package and unzip it,  then do the following :

• go to en.STSW-IMG043_ULD\VL53LMZ_MassMarket_ULD\CubeIDE_F401RE_Example\ and double click on .project
  • The project is imported in CubeIDE
  • Compile the project : OK
  • Flash the Nucleo board with the binary
  • Start TeraTerm and here is what you can see : distances and CNH for each zone

y

Hope this helps,

Anne

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi Anne
Thanks for the link to the exitsing usage examples. I think this helps a lot, I will try as soon as possible.

Best regards, Michael