cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the VL53L5CX IEC 60825-1:2007 and IEC 60825-1:2014 compliant and harmonized with the DIN EN ? Is there a compliance report available ?

MaikH
Associate II

Hello,

Next week I have to assemble and demonstrate my project in my local school. My project includes the VL53L5CX-Satel. Does the VL53L5CX compliant with the DIN EN ? Can you provide me a compliance report wich include all the measured limits of the VL53L5CX to remain within the IEC 60825-1:2007 and IEC 60825-1:2014 norm?

Do I have to labelling the housing with laser class 1 and the IEC relevance notice?

My school project is based in germany.

I look forward to hearing from you

kind regards

Maik H

9 REPLIES 9
Anne BIGOT
ST Employee

Dear Maik,

If you look at the datasheet of the L5CX available from here in the chapter Laser safety considerations, you will see that :

The VL53L5CX contains a laser emitter and corresponding drive circuitry. The laser output is designed to remain within Class 1 laser safety limits under all reasonably foreseeable conditions including single faults in compliance with IEC 60825-1:2007 and IEC 60825-1:2014.

Regards

Anne

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'
MaikH
Associate II

Hello,

Thank you for your reply!

I checked the chapter already. The VL53L5CX will measure some Human gesture, so the sensor is interacting with Humans. This project takes place in germany, so there is a DIN or EN norm which classify laser sensors. The problem is the VL53L5CX is IEC classified will this be a problem?

For this purpose it will be important to see the compliance report of the VL53L5CX, is it possible to provide me the compliance report of the VL53L5CX?

I look forward to hearing from you.

kind regards

Maik H

John E KVAM
ST Employee

here is the proof that we comply with the 2007 spec, the 2014 spec, and we have the U.S. FDA accession letter.

All of this shows that this is a class 1 optical sensor and that your device will be compliant as well.

• john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'
MaikH
Associate II

Hello John,

Thank you for you reply!

And thank you for the documents..I hope this is enough for my shool to confirm that this ToF sensor is not dangerous for human eyes.

Last question do I have to labeling a sign to my housing that this is a class 1 sensor?

kind regards

Maik H

John E KVAM
ST Employee

In the U.S., when you start mass production you will file a document with the FDA. In that document, you will reference ST's Accession number. Our Accession number is all the testing you need. (Keep in mind that it's invalid if you focus the optics in any way.)

In Europe the process is essentially the same. But the paperwork is different.

But those documents are proof that ST tested the sensors, that they are a class 1 laser and that we stand behind the test. They will be good enough for your project.

It does NOT mean that any govenment body tested the parts. But it does mean that if any parts are ever found to be out of compliance, someone will hold ST liable.

So we take it very seriously. Every single sensor is individually tested and calibrated to insure they are limited to the Class 1 standard.

MaikH
Associate II

Thank you John for the accurate information and spending time!

kind regards

Maik H

Hello again,

I told with a local government for radiation safty, and they recommended me to product testing the VL53L5CX to confirm the class 1 certification. 

Can you provide me the measured data of the test report from the cerfication above? 

Unfortunaly the local government of radiation safty has mentioned that the norm have to be compliant with the up to date technology, but the VL53L5CX-Satel-Sensor is only IEC 60825-1 of the year 2014 compliant, Also the Sensor has to be in compliant with the EN norm for the "Presumption of conformity". Otherwise I cant put into operation in the school.

Sorry for the unconfortable, but the safty is important for me because my project is for the local school.

I would thankful for a solution and support from ST.

I look forward to hearing from you.

kind regards 

Maik H.

John E KVAM
ST Employee

Very interesting.

I assert that the IEC 60825-1:2014 is the most recent European standard. In fact we have shipped a billion or so parts using this standard.

If your contact person says that the 2014 standard is NOT the most current, then please ask him to tell us what standard he requires.

I sometimes find that every orginization wants to do their own testing. But as a school you really cannot afford to test the sensor yourself.

Could it be that they require the full test data rather than just the certificate? We try not to give that out, as it basically tells our competition how to build the laser.

Hello John,

Thank you for your reply.

As mentioned the local government of radiation safty is confused about the IEC 60825-1 of the year 2007 and 2014. They said there have to be only one up to date norm at the time where the VL53L5CX was developed. They have not told me the current standard. The problem is that the VL53L5CX has no EN certification for the european market.

Is it not possible to only get the measurement data of the emitting power?

This data would for me to show facts that the maximum power is under a few microwatts.

kind regards 

Maik H.