cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dust free advice - ToF cover glass

KNawa.1
Associate II

During "Discover our latest range of ToF sensors featuring improved short range performance"(28.06.22) it was said you have tip to reduce dust for cover glass. I want to ask about this tip.

2 REPLIES 2
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Go to www.hornix.com.tw and click on 'products' at the top. Scroll down to almost the bottom.

You will find some coverglasses designed for the VL53L sensors.

Hornix designed these glasses for ST, but actually specializes in optical plastic molding.

The one you want has 2 separate bits of 'glass' separated by an opaque barrior.

If the photons cannot short-circuit the system and have to go out in the world, you will never get a false target. (With enough dirt, you will get no target, but never a wrong one.)

(There is also one of these glasses in the evaluation kit.)

You can get these from Hornix or you can build your own. The trick is to find an optically clear bit of plastic (PMMA which is acrylic, or polycarbonate) and an opaque formula. Then mold the case and barrier out of the opaque bit together with the clear windows.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'
KNawa.1
Associate II

hi John,

thx for support, I have already ordered these samples of cover glasses from EU distributor,

based of webinar I thought it is something more 🙂 and you have solution in case cover glass is going to be dirty like method of "cleaning" e.g. ultrasonic method...