cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I´m missing a documentation of all I2C registers for the VL53L7CX.

AWack
Associate III

8 REPLIES 8
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

No, it is not available, because it is a Laser device, which could harm the eyes of the user. Due to restrictions of eye safety you have to use the API.

If the problem is solved, please mark this thread as answered by selecting Select as best, as also explained here. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
AWack
Associate III

Hi Peter,

ok, thanks. Why is the laser diode not harmful if the API is used?

Regards,

Achim

Thank you for the very good question: the laser contained in the ToF must be limited in its radiation power in order to comply with the legal requirements. To prevent accidental activation of the full laser power and thus ensure eye safety, the settings of the ToF are only accessible via the API.

By the way: it is also not permitted to optically modify the ToF sensors with lens systems, because this also prevents compliance with the maximum radiation power. Only filters are permitted as optical aids, not lenses.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
AWack
Associate III

Ah ok, I understand. Thanks for the explanation and also the hint concerning lenses!

Regards,

Achim

hi,

where can I find VL53L7CX STM32Cube libraries to make own aplication? below example of library fo L5CX which I have used.

0693W00000aICufQAG.pngI have downloaded "en.X-CUBE-TOF1" but I did not see them there...

The VL53L7CX (L7) is the same silicon as the L5. The difference is the optical diffuser that spreads the light in a pyrmid of 60x60 degrees instead of the 45x45. So the code should be almost identical. (Some changes in the angles is all there is.)

So download the STSW-IMG038. That is the same driver you are used to. Platform should be identical to what you have.

The X-CUBE_TOF1 code is a little different. You can use it as well. But given what you have already done, go with the IMG038.

And one note...

The hardware will keep the laser safe. We really care about that. But the chip is so complex that sharing the register map would just drive you crazy. It's got a full-blown MCU inside it and it's taken us years to get it right. I'm sure you could figure it out, but you would hate us forever.

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.
KNawa.1
Associate II

Dear John, thx for help again. I will try to adopt STSW-IMG038 Linux libraries for STM32F4xx uC. Based on specification there is pin and driver compatibility L5 to L7 so probably I can use L5 libraries directly...? I will test it as well.

KNawa.1
Associate II

just for Others: I have used L5CX libraries and it works for L7CX as well,