Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value gaps in DMA transferred ADC data

HPiG
Associate II

Setup is as follows:

ADC1 & 2 in 'Dual regular simultaneous mode only'

DMA1 stream 0 used to transfer ADC data to AXI SRAM buffer (40000 32 bit values), DMA circular mode.

Using 'HAL_ADC_ConvHalfCpltCallback' to signal half buffer filled and 'HAL_ADC_ConvCpltCallback' to signal full buffer.

When the second half is filling, the first half is processed by application and vice versa.

This basically works good but buffer data for ADC 1 shows gaps at even 4k levels.

Example: Imagine the rising part of a triangle wave signal at ADC inputs. Simplified data example below.

ADC1 ADC2

---- ----

4092 4092

4093 4093

4094 4094

4095 4095

4095 4096

4095 4097

-

-

-

4095 4194

4095 4195

4095 4196

4197 4197

4198 4198

etc.

At 4095, 8191, 12287 and so on with 4k intervals, data in buffer from ADC1 gets "stuck" for a while and then continues with a jump.

What could be the reason?

7 REPLIES 7

Which STM32?

> What could be the reason?

Unstable reference(VREF+).

JW

Recent thread with similar question:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00001ScZlJSAV/adc-output-with-offset-in-some-unknown-region

TDK
Guru

Custom board? How is VDDA/VREF+ wired exactly? Agree that VREF+ seems like the issue, likely insufficient capacitance.

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W0000082ShTSAU/stm32f401-adc-not-getting-all-the-values

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
HPiG
Associate II

I looked at both links, and they seem to describe both the problem and the solution.

This is a custom board.

0693W00000LwWwMQAV.pngHope the image is readable, looks shrinked.

VREF+ and VDDA are tied together and derived from +3V3 via an EMI filter, without any capacitor.

I will test with a capacitor added.

HPiG
Associate II

The VDDA/VREF+ pins actually had capacitors, they were in another corner of the circuit diagram:

0693W00000LxhDUQAZ.pngI have tested with and without the EMI filter and I have shorted VREF+ and VDDA to each other on the MCU pins, no change. The PCB layout looks

quite airight, no long tracks etc.

I have also tested a number of different settings including different ADC bit resolution, ADC clock prescaler and all available ADCs_Common_Settings.

Even if I set ADC1 to 'Independent mode' the problem remains.

HPiG
Associate II

ADC data gaps:

0693W00000LxpHeQAJ.pngThe above image shows data from ADC1 (blue) and ADC2 (orange). A/D values on Y axis.

The horizontal white stripes thus representing gaps in ADC data.

The ADC1 graph shows gaps at 4k intervals (it continues at 8191, 12287 and so on) but the ADC2 graph

shows intervals of 512 and there are nearly 25% of "dead" values for the orange plot.

This data comes from a third unit I tested, and fact is that all three differ in behaviour even if they run the same program.

The other two does not display any dead data for ADC2, but they differ in the ADC1 interval; one has 4k intervals the other has 16k intervals.

So the problem seems to differ between different MCU units.

Building on the above, I'm shifting focus towards the ADC setup.

HPiG
Associate II

Problem solved (been ignored for a while).

The ADC:s must be calibrated before startup, which they weren't.

After running

HAL_ADCEx_Calibration_Start(&hadc1, ADC_CALIB_OFFSET_LINEARITY, ADC_SINGLE_ENDED)

last in MX_ADC1_Init for ADC1 the problem seems to have disappeared.

Do this for each ADC used.

Read about the calibration in documents AN5354 and RM0433 ADC Calibration section.

This is very interesting.

Thanks for coming back with the finding.

JW