cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About Tamper Protection.

JAlca
Senior

Hi all,

I'm reading about Tamper Protection on STM32 MCUs.

Is this to protect, for example, a device from someone triyng to open the external case?

Can you detail some more applications of this feature?

2 REPLIES 2
Jack Peacock_2
Senior III

One of the major advantages of the tamper pins is the ability to monitor a switch in very low power conditions. Typically a pushbutton used to wake up a battery powered device would require an external pullup or pulldown resistor with a power source in order to generate an EXTI type GPIO interrupt.

The tamper internals eliminate this with an internal resistor and power source. The internal resistor is only powered at sampling intervals, reducing leakage current through the pin connection. There is also a debounce type sampling count to filter a short term contact, such as handling the package.

When micro-amps count the tamper power consumption makes a difference over GPIO/EXTI/WKUP configuration. Parasitic current leakage on external pins is always a headache with very low power devices when main power is cut.

The other advantage is the timestamp function. Assuming the RTC is running the date and time of the first tamper event is logged into the RTC and preserved as long as the VBAT supply is powered. This allows a very low power device that wakes at fixed intervals to log an external event without waking up. I've used this to track remote site cabinet open events which are expected but don't require device intervention (i.e. service techs , etc.).

Jack Peacock

JAlca
Senior

Thank you very much for your explanation.

Do you have an example of wakeup a MCU, from standby mode, using a tamper pin?