cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding Random Obstacle Detection by VL53L1CB sensor

Akansha
Associate II

Hi,

I am working on designing Obstacle Detection Sensor using VL53L1CB sensor. I have mounted sensor on height 10 cm from ground because till 7cm it was detecting ground.

I have tested the range with target of different dimensions, i observed that with target of height 40cm i am getting range upto 2500mm only. I am getting range of 6m only when my target is large enough as Wall.

So can you please help me if there is any data of target dimensions and range with that target?

Second observation was with random detection on changing surrounding environment.

In an normal office environment with no ceiling lights, there was no random multiobject detection but at night when i turned on ceiling lights, sensor is showing random multi-object detection despite on any target present there.

Please help me out with this problem of random detection in light.

I am attaching that random data for your reference.

Regards

Akansha

2 REPLIES 2
ACHOU.18
ST Employee

​Hi Akansha,

First of all, you need to consider valid ranging result which ranging status =0 only, rest discard it.. You could refer various error codes in our datasheet.

Have you done offset calibration before ranging ?

If Cover glass is put on TOF then Cross talk calibration need to be done otherwise leave it.

After considering above steps, let me know about your result.

May I know what is the ambient condition and max target for your product specification ?

Regards,

Aditya

Akansha
Associate II

Hi Aditya,

I have already attached the snapshot of sensor's data when there was no obstacle in front of it, in that sensor was giving some data with range status = 0. So how that data can be valid if there is no obstacle in front of it.

No cover glass was used with sensor.

The testing was performed in normal office environment and we are looking for max target range of at least 5 m.

We want minimum obstacle of dimension (5 mm) to be detected at the range of at least 3 m.

Please suggest whether i should go with this sensor or not as per my requirements.

Regards

Akansha