Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement for VL6180X - what type is recomended -

Joetech
Associate

Hi,

i saw that the VL6180X is set to NRND.

I need the functions of gesture detection and ambiation light measurement.

I want to use it in a new product which should be produced more than 10 years but in this case i dont think that this is the right one.

Does ST recommends a replacement type?

Thanks for helping.

Jo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Very few people want that combination anymore. Too few to keep in in production. 

I think the best thing to do would be to go with the VL53L4CD as your distance sensor. It uses about the same amount of power as the VL6180 and is about the same cost - maybe a bit less - and the same size.

To boot, you get a more accurate distance. 

Then go with the VD6283 as your ALS. 

The VD6283 is tiny. It also can do filcker detect. (Flicker is a problem if you use a normal rolling shutter camera under indoor lights. It causes banding.) By knowing the frequency at which the light is flickering one can adjust the exposure of the camera to avoid an issue.

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Very few people want that combination anymore. Too few to keep in in production. 

I think the best thing to do would be to go with the VL53L4CD as your distance sensor. It uses about the same amount of power as the VL6180 and is about the same cost - maybe a bit less - and the same size.

To boot, you get a more accurate distance. 

Then go with the VD6283 as your ALS. 

The VD6283 is tiny. It also can do filcker detect. (Flicker is a problem if you use a normal rolling shutter camera under indoor lights. It causes banding.) By knowing the frequency at which the light is flickering one can adjust the exposure of the camera to avoid an issue.

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.