cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up a low/intermediate complexity project in STM32CubeIDE from scratch?

ELevh.2
Associate II

I'm comming from ecosystems (ESP-IDF, AVR, NPX..) and starting out with STM32 now. I have fond a bunch of "too simple" guides setting up some buttons and blinking leds and the usual, but those are too simple to be realistic. Then there is the super detailed guides like the security MOOCs and other tipis and trics series from ST and others. They have projects of good or too high complexity but never explain how to set them up from scratch, and most are too complex to have a look at and guess what everything is for.

So, anyone have a tip where i can learn the right steps to start a project from scratch, or just get a clear picture of what everything in the more advance templates are for?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @Community member​ ,

Welcome to the STM32 World!

Besides to what was suggested by @Pavel A.​ and @TDK​ , my proposal is to have a look to STM32 Step by step tutorials.

The tutorials describe how to set up an STM32CubeIDE project from scratch for basic examples as well as more advanced ones.

The STM32Cube firmware packages contain as well several examples. Here a Getting started with STM32Cube MCU Package.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

This is precisely why CubeIDE has the "Cube" part.

At least for single-core STM32s a "low complexity" project is simple. You just select the board, or the STM32 model for a custom board, and let the Cube do its magic (generate code). Then build and debug as usual in Eclipse.

After 3-4 "low complexity" projects you're ready for more advanced things.

This forum also helps a lot. These who manage to read and post messages here are better prepared to the CubeIDE experience 😉

-- pa

TDK
Guru

It's easy to answer more specific questions than general ones. Are there particular things that you are having trouble with? If you can make a blinking LED project, seems pretty straightforward to add more source/header files to grow the project in complexity. You can make your own code instead of using what CubeMX spits out if you want.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @Community member​ ,

Welcome to the STM32 World!

Besides to what was suggested by @Pavel A.​ and @TDK​ , my proposal is to have a look to STM32 Step by step tutorials.

The tutorials describe how to set up an STM32CubeIDE project from scratch for basic examples as well as more advanced ones.

The STM32Cube firmware packages contain as well several examples. Here a Getting started with STM32Cube MCU Package.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

ELevh.2
Associate II

The  STM32 Step by step tutorials seems nicer in the end then i first thought, i will definitely spend some time checking out the later parts of that. I think i gave those up at part 3 as they seemed too simple and a quick look at 4 and 5 indicated they required special hardware

To everyone else wondering the same thing, I found this playlist by Digi-key that I think was way better than what ST provides in terms of videos in the MOOCs. Better prepared and better produced.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEBQazB0HUyRYuzfi4clXsKUSgorErmBv