cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to MCU programming, attempting to recreate STM32 step by step on STM32F779I-EVAL

Ignis
Associate II

Hello!

As the question/topic title says, I'm new to MCU programming. I've touched C# (Unity) before and programmed an intelligent display by 4DSystems for a few applications. Unfortunately we've found some limitations on said intelligent display, so I was tasked with moving on to a better alternative (which would be the STM32F779 series).

With the intro out of the way, I've looked around and saw that there is a step by step guide using the NUCLEO-L476RG. I figured I would be able to adapt the guide to the STM32F779I-EVAL board, but I'm not having much luck. Using STM32CubeMX I created a new project selecting the EVAL board, which automatically selects the STM32F779NIHx as the chip, generated the code and opened it up in TrueStudio. After attempting to follow/convert the guide over to the EVAL board (and not succeeding), here are a few questions:

1. Checking over the GPIO configuration in STM32CubeMX shows that there are 4 configured LEDs (LED0 - Green - PI15, LED1 - Orange - PJ0, LED2 - Red - PJ1, LED3 - Blue - PJ3). If I check the board, I can see the 4 colored LEDS next to the RESET button, but there is not any LED0 - LED labeling starts at LD1. I assume LD1is LED0 and so on?
  2. The HAL_GPIO_TogglePin tooltip specifies that the first argument ranges from GPIOA to GPIOI. Is that correct? According to the GPIO configuration, at least three of the LEDs are set on pins outside that scope (being PJ).

The only lines I added to the generated code are as follows, inside the while loop:

HAL_GPIO_TogglePin(GPIOI, GPIO_PIN_15);
	HAL_Delay(250);

The end result on the board is that LED1 through LED4 stay on all the time. I tried prodding on PI15 on CN6 with an oscilloscope but I see no voltage change.

Thank you for your time!

Edit: Changed instances where I wrote 799 instead of 779 as chip model.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ignis
Associate II

Hello! Writing this as a sort of closure to the question.

I took a look at the GPIO Toggle projects, both for V1.15 and V1.16, and both of them had the same issue - couldn't build since there were missing header files. I then took the example I had after following the step by step guide and set a breakpoint in the main loop, and realized the code wasn't reaching that point. I commented out all Init functions except for the GPIO Init and could successfully toggle the LEDs on and off. Unsure why or which function is the one blocking the program to run properly, but the code was generated using STM32CubeMX with the proper board selected.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

I'm afraid ST abandoned this initiative and is not willing to migrate it to other platforms.

JW

@Emma DULUARD​ 

@Amel NASRI​ 

F 7 7 9 !

Look perhaps at the array of sample projects in the CubeF7 code trees, the F769 is the F779 without HASH/CRYPT

\STM32Cube\Repository\STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.15.0\Projects\STM32F769I_EVAL\Examples\GPIO\GPIO_IOToggle\readme.txt

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Whoops! Good catch on the chip model mistake!

I'll take a look at the example projects as suggested, thank you!

Ignis
Associate II

Hello! Writing this as a sort of closure to the question.

I took a look at the GPIO Toggle projects, both for V1.15 and V1.16, and both of them had the same issue - couldn't build since there were missing header files. I then took the example I had after following the step by step guide and set a breakpoint in the main loop, and realized the code wasn't reaching that point. I commented out all Init functions except for the GPIO Init and could successfully toggle the LEDs on and off. Unsure why or which function is the one blocking the program to run properly, but the code was generated using STM32CubeMX with the proper board selected.