cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BLE modules v4.1 deprecated by SIG

Fabien B
Associate III

I am about to integrate the BLE module SPBTLE-RF which is Bluetooth v4.1. My PCB already have the footprint of the module, I just need to integrate the firmware. 

But I heard the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) recently announced the deprecation and withdrawal of Bluetooth Core specifications v4.0 and v4.1.

What does it mean to my case ? Is it worthy to keep developping this module or do I need to make antoher PCB version and choose a BLE module v4.2 minimum ?

Thank you

Gael

2 REPLIES 2
Winfred LU
ST Employee

Hi Gael,

It is recommended to choose a BLE v4.2 module instead.

However, depending on your design resource and project schedule, currently you still have choices.

When a specification is deprecated, it is not maintained. Erratas of spec and test spec will not be processed. But you can still qualify products with a deprecated specification.

Then, there will be a transitional period, before the spec is withdrawn. After a spec is withdrawn, it will be not possible to qualify products with it. Core spec v4.0 and v4.1 is going to be withdrawn on July 1, 2020

Best Regards,

Winfred

Fabien B
Associate III

Hi Winfred,

Thank you for your reply. Okay so it is recommended to choose a BLE v4.2 even if I still can qualify my device before the withdrawn deadline. I would like to know what is going to happen to the SPBTLE-RF module next ? Will ST keep selling the module ? My product is supposed to work for the next 5 years, if I qualify the product before the deadline, I would like to be sure the SPBTLE-RF will be available.

Best regards,

Gael