cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will ST provide a Ultra Lite Driver equivalent for the VL53L0X? If not, what options do I have on getting this sensor to work? (Imported from another source - john)

John E KVAM
ST Employee

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

The UltraLite Driver was written for the VL53L1X and people liked it. So it's reasonable to want a tiny driver for the VL53L0X.

Unfortunately there isn't going to be an ULD for the VL53L0X. ST has moved on.

But I have 2 solutions for you.

• step 1) you need a processor large enough to support the existing driver and some printf() calls.
  • step 2) put a printf() prior to every API call you make and one at the lowest point of the I2C reads and writes.
  • step 3) use the output to emulate the I2C calls without the API.

I know it's a pain to do this reverse engineering but you don't have to...

Solution 2:

Go to either the Sparkfun site or the Polulu site.

They have both reverse engineered the API. And it's good stuff. They both did a pretty good job.

You can download the code for free.

But if you use the code, please send them a few $$. They both take donations.

ST is NOT going to endorse these sites. However I have heard great things about them.

And there are other sites out there as well. Keep looking.

If you find another API, please post it here.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

The UltraLite Driver was written for the VL53L1X and people liked it. So it's reasonable to want a tiny driver for the VL53L0X.

Unfortunately there isn't going to be an ULD for the VL53L0X. ST has moved on.

But I have 2 solutions for you.

• step 1) you need a processor large enough to support the existing driver and some printf() calls.
  • step 2) put a printf() prior to every API call you make and one at the lowest point of the I2C reads and writes.
  • step 3) use the output to emulate the I2C calls without the API.

I know it's a pain to do this reverse engineering but you don't have to...

Solution 2:

Go to either the Sparkfun site or the Polulu site.

They have both reverse engineered the API. And it's good stuff. They both did a pretty good job.

You can download the code for free.

But if you use the code, please send them a few $$. They both take donations.

ST is NOT going to endorse these sites. However I have heard great things about them.

And there are other sites out there as well. Keep looking.

If you find another API, please post it here.