Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash memory type for STM32F103C8T6

akhilvarghese
Associate

Hello All,

I am using STM32F103C8T6.

it has a Flash memory of 64Kbytes.

I am interested to know whether its a NAND or NOR flash. I tried going through its data sheet. But could not find explicit mention of flash memory type details.

Could you please help me in understanding this?

I am planning to use openocd to flash program. and I would have to know the type of flash before set up flashing.

PS. I am new to controller hardware level. I have worked only on application level. So pardon if its a silly question.

thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

It is NOR flash. Most programmers, including OpenOCD, will not know that when you select STM32F1.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

You don't find a datasheet of the STM32 internal flash because it is built into the chip and is not available separately.

For a higher-level developer, this is basically all one should know about the embedded flash of STM32:

https://eda360insider.wordpress.com/2011/09/22/ingenious-architectural-features-allow-st-micro-to-extract-maximum-performance-from-new-microcontroller-family-based-on-arm-cortex-m4-cost-less-than-6-bucks-in-1000s/

Read more about the "ART" thing in ST documentation.

-- pa

S.Ma
Principal

most differences between NOR and NAND seems the erase and access time and density, which makes most MCU with built-in flash NOR based. Check NOR and NAND SPI specs to learn differences.

Thanks @Uwe Bonnes​ 

Do we have any reference specifying the same ? or is it like all MCU flash are ROM due to faster read speed.