cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a STM32F746G Discovery board and System Workbench / AC6 should I be using STM32CubeMX or STM32CubeF7?

EBail.4
Associate

To put it another way, when would I want to use STM32CubeMX over STM32CubeF3/F4/F7 when working with F3/F4/F7 Discovery boards?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mohamed Aymen HZAMI
ST Employee

Hello,

The STM32Cube embedded software libraries and STM32CubeMX code generator can be used independently of each other. STM32CubeMX tool is a graphical software configuration tool using to initialize peripherals, build and generate your starting projects with initialization C code.   

This allow you to choose the microcontroller, select the peripherals you want and map them to pins graphically.

There are several examples available under the STM32Cube package (for different IDE : Keil, IAR, SW4STM32, ...) dedicated for your boards to understand more about architecture and configuration of the library.

Best Regards,

Mohamed Aymen.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Mohamed Aymen HZAMI
ST Employee

Hello,

The STM32Cube embedded software libraries and STM32CubeMX code generator can be used independently of each other. STM32CubeMX tool is a graphical software configuration tool using to initialize peripherals, build and generate your starting projects with initialization C code.   

This allow you to choose the microcontroller, select the peripherals you want and map them to pins graphically.

There are several examples available under the STM32Cube package (for different IDE : Keil, IAR, SW4STM32, ...) dedicated for your boards to understand more about architecture and configuration of the library.

Best Regards,

Mohamed Aymen.

The STM32CubeF7 is just a HAL repository used by CubeMX, if you navigate into the tree within the archive there are multiple standalone examples for the STM32F746G-DISCO board.

If you have embedded programing experience you can probably dispense with CubeMX and use HAL or register methods directly.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..