Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

J-Link firmware compatibility with discovery boards/ST-Link versions

Lead
Posted on April 27, 2016 at 10:42

Got a ''

Microcontroller news from STMicroelectronics

'' mail today, saying the following:

http://links.st-microelectronics.mkt5947.com/ctt?kn=8&ms=MTI4OTE2NTUS1&r=NjkwODIyOTUzNjcS1&b=0&j=NzIzNzQ4MTY1S0&mt=1&rt=0

The on-board ST-Link debugger and programmer  in STM32 development boards (Discovery, Nucleo) can be upgraded with Segger J-Link firmware to take advantage of a professional debug solution featuring ...

What versions of the ST-Link are to be supported by this firmware ?

Beside, following the links, I can't find any firmware yet on the Segger website, nor mentioning the ST-Link ...

#st-link-j-link-compatibility
4 REPLIES 4
Posted on April 27, 2016 at 19:22

I saw that too, but it really needs a specific link to something on Segger's site that deals with this offer and provides a download/update tool, and a way to determine what the specific F103 and board are capable of.

I remember Jan mentioning it, but now can't find the thread, dealing the the STM32F4-DISC1 board MB997D and the ridiculous VCP/USART situation where you have to use flying wires rather than using the F411 or F401 versions where the thing is wired and brought to headers.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Lead
Posted on April 28, 2016 at 07:04

Saw a thread on another (non-english) forum yesterday, about the same topic.

A Segger employee complained about ST being rather quick with their announcements.

> I remember Jan mentioning it, but now can't find the thread, dealing the the STM32F4-DISC1 board MB997D and the ridiculous VCP/USART situation where you have to use flying wires rather than using the F411 or F401 versions where the thing is wired and brought to headers.

While this was also a topic (question) there, no statement from Segger.

While the J-Link is o.k., and enjoys more support by popular toolchains, I fear those special features of the embedded STLink hardware might drop off the table...

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II
Posted on April 28, 2016 at 11:10

The software appeared on

https://www.segger.com/jlink-st-link.html

Lead
Posted on April 28, 2016 at 12:14

I have realized this in the meantime. And Segger also states that at least VCP is supported.

Will give it a try in the next time.