Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STm wifi module

elaroussi
Associate II
Posted on March 25, 2014 at 13:24

Hi,

Anyone of you have worked on WIFI? I need a small help related to that.

I need to develop an application that sends and receives some data via usart, cause I need to communicate with a wifi device (i'm using a stm32f4discovery board).

but the problem is that i can't find a wifi module which is compatible with my stm32f4

several questions running through my head

can i use any module found in the internet ?

what about Software?

what about compatibility?

also can i wired this module SG901-1098 from Sagrad directly to my stm32f4 board and making the necssary configuration to make it work (sending and receiving data in a standalone mode)?

the project idea is to make the system (STM32F4 discovrey Board and wifi module) operate in a standalone mode without the PC being used.

thx in advance 

S.Laaroussi
10 REPLIES 10
Posted on March 25, 2014 at 15:45

Done ANY network programming before?

You'd presumably want to look for a module/chipset providing a CMOS serial port, and a TCP/IP stack, and WiFi WEP/WPA configuration. Would seem to describe a whole slew of devices using chips from GainSpan, RedPine, BlueGiga,...

Using Ethernet and WiFi, what networking applications would need a PC, if they were already connected to a Hub, Router, Access-Point, etc?
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
elaroussi
Associate II
Posted on March 25, 2014 at 17:20

Hi Clive

Thx for help, butcan i use this module( )

directly with my stm32f4 discovrey board, i mean wiring it directly without using an evaluation board (just wiring it to the my stm32f4 discovrey board by using a bread board) 

thx again

Laaroussi
Posted on March 25, 2014 at 20:44

Looks like it could be attached directly to an STM32 USART, the module itself uses an STM32

http://www.inventeksys.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Schemtaic_UART_Min_CFG.pdf

ms13steel
Associate II
Posted on September 24, 2015 at 14:53

hi,

i have similar requirement but i want to connect wifi adaptor in USB port on my stm board for communication purpose. 

presently i have USB mass storage device support implemented and its fully functional. but i want to use same usb port  to communicate when i connect wifi adapter to it....

any help or hint on this??

Posted on September 24, 2015 at 15:11

So look at USB Wifi dongles that have open support in Linux, review the drivers and determine if you have the skills, and horse-power, to migrate that into an STM32F4. The size of the Windows driver may also be a significant tell.

You want to look for highly integrated modules that support the features you're looking for.

ms13steel
Associate II
Posted on September 24, 2015 at 15:45

thanks clive for this quick response... 

i hv few doubts now...

1) driver written for ''x'' company's dongle will work for ''y'' company's dongle? all dongles need their specific drivers? or single driver will work fine for any dongle??

2) in your personal opinion, which one will be better bluetooth or wifi in terms of availability of source code and implementation?? My requirement is wireless communicate with a smartphone/pc in range of 10 meters.

qwer.asdf
Senior
Posted on September 24, 2015 at 16:29

Consider using ESP8266, it's very cheap and easy to integrate using UART.

http://www.esp8266.com/

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-ESP8266-serial-WIFI-wireless-module-wireless-transceiver/2044444348.html

Posted on September 24, 2015 at 22:19

Most of the drivers are written by the chipset vendor, these may then be branded by individual vendors of dongles. Chip vendors have about zero interest is talking to end users, or in fact anyone who is unlikely to be immediately purchasing >$1M in chips or lacks RF experience. The chipset/dongle market is very transient, Chinese vendors will make a lot of one dongle, and then immediately move on to something else, it's not considered a long term business, so picking a horse you like is hard. Look for availability of support in the Linux kernel.

Getting data out of Marvell and Broadcom is very difficult. Players like RaLink perhaps less so.

For Bluetooth, take a look at the HC-06, hooked these up to several STM32 designs.

http://mcuoneclipse.com/2013/06/19/using-the-hc-06-bluetooth-module/

Bluetooth is probably your best bet into the phone/tablet space. PC dongles are also cheap enough.

Posted on September 24, 2015 at 22:52

One of the things that Clive is avoiding asking, he's such a diplomat, is the second part of your question. Do YOU have the ability to get the module working?

ST has a line of WiFi modules, the SPWF01. They seem to have bought a licence from Sagrad and are bringing up their own software. I tried for many months to get this module to do something useful outside of STs demo web pages, and I've failed.

Granted, I've only got 32 years of experience, so maybe it's me.

I'm quite interested in the ESP8266 with my own code, that I could handle. 

Elecia White from the Embedded.fm podcast will be posting a shoot-out article between the particle.io Photon (ST processor, Broadcom WiFi chip), and SparkFun's Thing (ESP8266) around October 9 on her blog http://www.element14.com/community/blogs/linker.

Each has its own benefits and drawbacks. A lot of the drawbacks deal directly with the business models of the manufacturers and it is up to you to understand their business model and see if your device fits in.