cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32WB5MM BLE and OTA update

msz
Associate

Hi all,

we're working on a project that involves the STM32WB5MM module that is supposed to provide OTA Update.

While we got the ST OTA second stage bootloader firmware to work (including our application firmware), we encountered a couple of things:

For one, we were using three STM32WB5MM-DK, which were behaving differently. We uploaded the stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_full_fw.bin (V1.19.0) and FUS 1.2.0 to all of them to make sure that this wasn't causing the different behaviour. Still two of them ended up working properly, but the third guy does not perform the OTA update properly, even if they were using the exact same application firmware binaries. I could flash the binaries using the STM32CubeProgrammer and everything is fine, but when using OTA, something gets messed up with the third guy.

Also, i had to repeat the stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_full_fw.bin upload a couple of times for two of them. Otherwise they didn't show up in any Bluetooth Scan (tested with both, a Windows box and an Android smartphone).

Any ideas what  could be causing this?

The other thing i am wondering:

Performing the OTA update using the ST BLE Toolbox is fine for experimenting and prototyping. But for deploying updates in the field, this is not exactly user-friendly. So what would be the options for a more integrated solution? E.g., is there a "protocol spec" for rolling our own solution, or something like a Windows tool to smoothen the process?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Matthias

1 REPLY 1
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @msz 

For the board who have a problem in OTA, does it support other codes (without OTA). If so, can you share what is special on this case. 

For the way of OTA, you can use Cube Monitor RF for such application as mentionned on the AN 5247

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.