Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrated STM-LINK with Virtual com port support

raimond
Associate III
Posted on July 06, 2015 at 08:14

Hi all,

I have a DISCOVERY board for F030 devices. I think it's name is STM32F0308-DISCO.

What I'm trying to do is to use the integrated STM-LINK as an usb to serial dongle between the target MCU and the PC. 

I have found that a hardware connection is possible and provided through the SB15 and SB14 solder links, but I can't see the virtual com port installed although I upgraded the stm-link firmware with the latest one.

My question is: Is it possible at all?

All I have found in the internet is that it seems that the NUCLEO boards have this feature. Is it true? If yes, I'm willing to switch to a NUCLEO board rather than the DISCO. But I don't want to purchase a NUCLEO board only to see that I can't use the virtual com port of the stm-link again...

Thank you very much

3 REPLIES 3
raimond
Associate III
Posted on July 07, 2015 at 14:45

Nobody ?

Posted on July 07, 2015 at 15:31

That tends to be how forums work, if you want instant responses, pick up the phone.

There are several firmwares, the latest means different things on different boards.

Yes the NUCLEO boards provide a Virtual COM Port, it comes up as a device when you plug the ST-LINK in. Shares pins with the Arduino header, so might clash there. Nominally USART2 PA2/PA3 on the STM32 side.

I haven't seen it work on the DISCO boards, not sure the technical reason for not enabling it. There is the SWV debugger channel that can be used for diagnostic output.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
raimond
Associate III
Posted on July 08, 2015 at 12:27

No problem.

Thank you for the response. I will switch to the NUCLEO.