Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FMC on STM32F4xx for Graphics Applications

bluephoton928
Associate II
Posted on January 18, 2016 at 00:37

Hellos,

I see there is an inbuiltFMC on the STM32F4x9 MCUs which can interface to various memory types including NAND, NOR , SDR SDRAM. My question is: Is it a good idea to use the NOR or a NAND Flash as a FRAME buffer for graphics applications? If yes, which one of the below is a recommended choice for frame buffer to interface with the FMC.

1. NAND FLash

2.NOR FLash

3. SDR-SDRAM

4. PSRAM

5. 16-bit PC Cards

#graphics
3 REPLIES 3
tm3341
Associate II
Posted on January 18, 2016 at 10:54

Use FMC for SDRAM communication (FRAME buffer) and then LTDC for transferring to LCD. The same as F429-Discovery board has.

If you think about LCD as direct memory to STM, check FSMC (not available on F429 which is on Discovery board) but on new F29 versions.

bluephoton928
Associate II
Posted on January 18, 2016 at 17:18

Hey majerle,

Thanks for the reply. I still would like to know if its a good idea to use any of the below as my FRAME Buffer to do graphics. Basically I want to know if Nor Flash and NAND Flash are fast enough to act as a FRAME buffer(which can be interfaced with FMC on a F479) since I can get them at a cheaper price compared to SDRAM.

THanks in advance

Posted on January 18, 2016 at 20:04

NAND is not byte addressable memory, it doesn't support the access patterns that you need.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..