cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADC Accuracy varies with sample clocks

dohanchris
Associate
Posted on November 28, 2016 at 05:39

I am having difficulty getting an equivalent ADC accuracy to my old 8 bit uC with 10 bit ADCs. I am looking to see if anyone can explain why changing the ADC clock cycles affects the ADC accuracy. I would expect longer sampling time would average out any noise. Ultimately I need better accuracy. Would I have better luck going to either STM32F1 with less peripherals, or investigate a different uC altogether? Or is this typical for high speed microcontrollers?

MEASUREMENT DETAILS

I have 4 different ADC inputs with a constant DC input applied from op amps. ADC scan group was sampled at 76 us. ADC DC voltages where measured with a high res DVM (calibrated) very close to the pads. Vref = 3.2924 which I am using to calculate the converted voltage. I cannot measure any noise on DVM or scope. I did gain some ADC noise improvements by adding some VCC and GND wires close to the pins, but did nothing for accuracy and doesn't explain the strange ADC sample clocks.

DATA

Example 1: ADC123_IN0

This has op amp directly feeding uP ADC. Reference voltage of 2.4927 V.

0690X00000605T2QAI.png

Example 2: ADC123_IN1

This input has a op amp followed by a voltage divider with equivalent impedance of 1.3k ohms. STM datasheet calculations show all sample cycles shown are ok. (ADC clock = 12.5 Mhz)

0690X00000605QdQAI.png

Example 3: ADC123_IN2

Same as above, but different op amp feeding different ADC input.

0690X00000605T7QAI.png

Example 4: ADC123_IN3

Same as above, but different op amp feeding different ADC input.

0690X00000605TCQAY.png

I do have a limitation that I'm using a 2 layer board. Bottom side is poured ground around traces. I realize that is difficult to get great ADC results, but that should only affect noise, but does not really explain the accuracy changing with ADC sample time. I did already add a few jumpers which appeared to lower noise but not accuracy.

#adc-accuracy
1 REPLY 1
re.wolff9
Senior
Posted on May 25, 2017 at 16:21

You seem to have a periodic noise signal on certain traces. If this is alias of some higher frequency noise, you could easily see 'oddly changing' results.