Associate II
Posted on February 18, 2004 at 04:51

RS232 Communication

3 REPLIES 3
mailtoarup
Associate II
Posted on February 07, 2004 at 06:46

hai,

I am new to the RS232 protocol.I want to implement this with Microcontroller.

I have basic idea of this protocol.Now i want to do like this------->

I am working on indart-softec 's demo board based on ST72F264

microcontroller from ST.

i want to communicate this micro controller with my PC with windows 98 O.S....i have a lcd attached to my micro.I want to have a register in micro controller which will have some charcter say ''A'', ''B'' and ''C''(i.e 3 bytes of data).I want to send this to my PC..and after receiving these 3 bytes PC should transmit these bytes to micro and in turn to LCD.

I have taken out two lines TDO & RDI from ST7 and connected these two lines to ST232's(on other board) T1in & R1out. and two lines T1out & R1in is taken out from otherside of thes ic.Now

i have connecter with 3 pin connected to these two line and a common ground .I did not use other pins.

And I found My Pc's COM port is 9 pin .Pls tell me how to arrange this as i m only using 3 signal TXD,RXD,GND.I believe other pins like RTS,DTR etc are not necessary here.

Now tell me where in the PC i should type Characters ''A'',''B'' & ''C'' and send those.

And wherei n the PC i can see those Characters received from microcontroller.

Pls describe me how to write the code for that.any modification needed in the hardware??

Pls suggest me other examples i can build on this protocal using Micro as i want practise on this.

pls give me info about related Technical site.

I will be tahnkfull for any help.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Regards,

Arup

jatin
Associate II
Posted on February 09, 2004 at 02:26

From PC side, you can transmit/receive data on serial port using the hyperterminal. Here, you can set your baud rate and serial configuration according to your application. There is also an application note availalable on this site that suits to your requirement. It is AN969 ''SCI communication between ST7 and PC''.

Hope it would help!

[ This message was edited by: Jatin on 09-02-2004 06:56 ]
thor
Associate II
Posted on February 18, 2004 at 04:51

Quote:

HI, you can use hyperterminal in windows to see what i on the com-port, or you can download a communication program called docklight for free. If you don't you RTS and DTR you can set the baudrate at any given speed and set it up to use; 1 start bit, no parity, 1 stop bit and 8 data bits. I hope this helps a little

best regards

Thor