Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F4 + OV9655

Eric Lin
Associate II
Posted on October 03, 2017 at 20:25

Hello, fellow developers

I am using STM32F4 Discovery board with OV9655 camera module. I use the sample codes given and everything works all right. Right now, I am going to tune the qualities of the camera images, such as resolution, gamma, exposure, noise cancellation, etc. Where can I get a good programming guide and correct datasheet for the registers of OV9665 ?

I have a preliminary datasheet for OV9655, but I believe it is only partially correct. I kept trying but some of the sample codes don't make perfect sense to me. Some do, but not all of them.

Alternatively, if anyone has good suggestions on STM32 board + camera module, that I can receive better supports from the vendor, feel free to comment.

Eric

2 REPLIES 2
Vitaliy Kaminskiy
Associate
Posted on October 04, 2017 at 10:54

Hi. I don't know answer on your question, but I interest in connection and communication of camera and STM32F4. Do you have some guide or etc.? Thanks.

Eric Lin
Associate II
Posted on October 09, 2017 at 06:22

Hello, Vitaliy

Thank you for your interest in this question. All you have to do to start the connection between a camera and a mcu board is to go to Amazon.com or digikey.com to purchase the stm32 mcu evaluation or discovery board. Then, go to

http://www.st.com

to download the associated sample codes. There are various selections in terms of what board to use, etc. You can take pictures and preview the images on an tft-LCD, etc. all right, but no more detailed tuneup on the registers. I can make sense a lot of the registers, but not all. For instance, on the datasheet, it will say 'AWB Control Option 2' or 'Lens Correction Option 2' or 'Matrix Coefficient 6', etc., and provided some default values. No explanations of what they mean.

I've finally received a response from OmniVision Technologies, confirming that OV9655 is EOL. I asked if I can still purchase some sort of register programming guide even though it is EOL, and they were kind enough to offer me a software application note. I found some very useful information on it, but not all of that I needed. Yet, I am happy now and will continue trying. I don't think I can post it contents here since it is confidential, but I am happy to talk about how to adjust the registers of OV9655 if anybody is interested.

Another thing is that I would like to update the CMOS camera module on this camera board. I found something like this:

http://fr.rs-online.com/web/p/products/0550439/

The CMOS sensor and lens are replaceable, and I might be able to find other CMOS sensors that I can somehow wired and mount to the existing camera board. Anybody has similar experience ?

I asked the vendor of STM32F4DIS-CAM, Embest, if I they have other newer existing CMOS module that has lower resolutions I can use, but never received any responses from them. I'll keep trying for a few days and see what happens.

Also, anybody ever tried infrared sensor on STM32 boards ?

Cheers,

-Eric