cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

read out protection activated on stm32f4 discovery

Nipuni Perera
Associate II
Posted on June 25, 2018 at 13:31

The stm32f4 discovery board I am using has read out protection enabled, and I can't deactivate it.

First of all, it is impossible for me to set read out protection, as the attached screenshot shows, the apply button for option bytes is off-screen and I can't seem to zoom out or do anything with it.

0690X0000060BrZQAU.png0690X0000060BniQAE.png

I certainly didn't set the read out protection to level 1  - it was working fine, and then I unplugged it, and plugged it in about two hours later, and the board simply isn't working. The program isn't running anymore (the USART and SPI should be running, but it isn't).

I think I should mention that a UA741 in an attached circuit caught fire before I disconnected the circuit, but it seemed to be working fine until I disconnected it. The only link between the circuits was a shared ground.

On Keil uVision 5, I get the error 'Flash timeout. reset the target and try again' when I try a flash download.

On the ST Link utility, I get 'Cannot read flash memory! Disable read out protection and retry' when trying to connect to the target.

A possible solution I found online was to set the read out protection to level 0, but that appears impossible.

Any ideas about how I can resolve this?

Thank you in advance.

#stlink #read-out-protection #stm32f4-disovery
6 REPLIES 6
Posted on June 25, 2018 at 15:06

Probably fried the board or chip.

Check the voltages on the chip side supply, and the voltage on the VCAP capacitors.

There is a schematic in the manual.

Try with a substitute board.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on June 26, 2018 at 05:47

Vcap1 and  Vcap 2 are at a steady 1.19V. The voltages on the chip seem normal (about 2.8V on the 3V, about 4.8V on the 5V and about 2.9V on Vdd).

Posted on June 27, 2018 at 09:48

Update: No such problem with a new board. I suppose the old one is fried.

Posted on June 28, 2018 at 01:29

Hi,

Yes, May be your device is damaged and you need to replace it. If device is always protected level1 and can not be changed that means the startup is not happening correctly and flash may be damaged.

Cheers,

STOne-32

Posted on June 28, 2018 at 08:57

The same thing happened with the new board as well. Now it's also at level 1 and effectively dead. 

Posted on June 28, 2018 at 10:49

That behavior is not normal.  please check your power supplies  and If a wrong operation or connection is done for Power supplies pads : VDDs, VDDA, VREF, and VCAPs.

Cheers,

STOne-32.