cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New possibilities for the ultra-low power segment!

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

STM32U0 is the first Cortex-M0+ with a static consumption of only 160 nA in standby mode with RTC (Real-Time Clock) and 16 nA in shutdown. It also achieves 118 points in CoreMark and targets SESIP level 3 and PSA level 1 focusing on firmware code protection, making it one of the most capable MCUs in the ultra-low-power segment. This is possible because the STM32U0 adopts many features we’ve been implementing in other devices while reusing a 90-nm process node that offers exceptional yields.

Consequently, the STM32U0 achieves one of the best static consumption at this price point, granting engineers more freedom to optimize their design for entry-level battery-powered applications in industrial, medical, smart metering, and consumer wellness markets.

gif-stm32u0.gif

STM32 software and hardware tools available:

For more information:

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

6 REPLIES 6
tjaekel
Lead

Cool, nicely reduced power consumption, well done.

But what about an MCU which can run with 1.2V?

I am looking for a MCU which has almost all pins (at least SPI/I2C/QSPI) as 1.2V VDDIO.

Reducing the power consumption is not "just" using an ARM Cortex M0/M0+ and lowering the core clock: it is also to consider going down on VDDIO (and run entire system with 1.2V).

When will you have a MCU supporting 1.2V systems?
(many external chips out there for 1.2V volt, just the MCU needs still level shifters... and burning power on the system board at the end - "think about systems" (not just the MCU itself).

STM has pretty cool MCUs in portfolio.

I have checked today: STM32H5x with 1.2V GPIOs:
It turns out, on this MCU I have VDDIO2 and some GPIO pins for 1V2 and below, so that I can run:

• 2x SPI
  • I3C (or I2C)
  • UART/USART
  • and even SDMMC2 possible

with 1.2V volt. Cool!
Just QSPI with 1.2V is missing.

Dear STM team:

it would be great if the regular VDDIO could also go down to 1.2V. The MCU core runs away already at 1.1V.
Having the option to use QSPI as well on a 1.2V VDDIO(2) would be great: Map the QSPI ALT functions to the GPIO pins with VDDIO2, instead of SDMMC.

Great MCUs provided by STM.

Thomas Roell
Associate III

Why not upgrading to Cortex-M23 ? Cortex-M0+ feels a tad outdated, no support for atomics, no hardware divide. It feels like a missed opportunity.

Tobe
Senior III

This is advertisment, and i think it should not be in the forum. Id rather have better documentation, than new products!

Hi @Tobe ,

Yes this post was used to announce the new product.

Now that we have the Developer News section, announcements of new products will be done there.

Regarding the documentation improvements: we are in a continuous process to improve our offer. Starting from June 2024, we published 3 documentation updates articles:

This is said, if you have any documentation related feedback, please explain it in a separate thread. That will help us to be aware of possible limitations.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello,

Yes this feature (VDDIO2 with IOs going down to 1.08V) is also available on STM32L4 and STM32U5.

Bertrand