cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New possibilities for the ultra-low power segment!

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

STM32U0 is the first Cortex-M0+ with a static consumption of only 160 nA in standby mode with RTC (Real-Time Clock) and 16 nA in shutdown. It also achieves 118 points in CoreMark and targets SESIP level 3 and PSA level 1 focusing on firmware code protection, making it one of the most capable MCUs in the ultra-low-power segment. This is possible because the STM32U0 adopts many features we’ve been implementing in other devices while reusing a 90-nm process node that offers exceptional yields.

Consequently, the STM32U0 achieves one of the best static consumption at this price point, granting engineers more freedom to optimize their design for entry-level battery-powered applications in industrial, medical, smart metering, and consumer wellness markets.

gif-stm32u0.gif

STM32 software and hardware tools available:

For more information:

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

5 REPLIES 5
tjaekel
Lead

Cool, nicely reduced power consumption, well done.

But what about an MCU which can run with 1.2V?

I am looking for a MCU which has almost all pins (at least SPI/I2C/QSPI) as 1.2V VDDIO.

Reducing the power consumption is not "just" using an ARM Cortex M0/M0+ and lowering the core clock: it is also to consider going down on VDDIO (and run entire system with 1.2V).

When will you have a MCU supporting 1.2V systems?
(many external chips out there for 1.2V volt, just the MCU needs still level shifters... and burning power on the system board at the end - "think about systems" (not just the MCU itself).

STM has pretty cool MCUs in portfolio.

I have checked today: STM32H5x with 1.2V GPIOs:
It turns out, on this MCU I have VDDIO2 and some GPIO pins for 1V2 and below, so that I can run:

• 2x SPI
  • I3C (or I2C)
  • UART/USART
  • and even SDMMC2 possible

with 1.2V volt. Cool!
Just QSPI with 1.2V is missing.

Dear STM team:

it would be great if the regular VDDIO could also go down to 1.2V. The MCU core runs away already at 1.1V.
Having the option to use QSPI as well on a 1.2V VDDIO(2) would be great: Map the QSPI ALT functions to the GPIO pins with VDDIO2, instead of SDMMC.

Great MCUs provided by STM.

Thomas Roell
Associate III

Why not upgrading to Cortex-M23 ? Cortex-M0+ feels a tad outdated, no support for atomics, no hardware divide. It feels like a missed opportunity.

Tobe
Senior III

This is advertisment, and i think it should not be in the forum. Id rather have better documentation, than new products!

Hi @Tobe ,

Yes this post was used to announce the new product.

Now that we have the Developer News section, announcements of new products will be done there.

Regarding the documentation improvements: we are in a continuous process to improve our offer. Starting from June 2024, we published 3 documentation updates articles:

This is said, if you have any documentation related feedback, please explain it in a separate thread. That will help us to be aware of possible limitations.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.