cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do ST verify all M25P16 sectors during production?

Posted on April 09, 2018 at 14:17

We are using the M25P16 memory and we get one memory that we can't do a bulk erase.

On this one, we only do this action in the following steps:

- Complete erase with the bulk erase command and polling for the end

- program only the sectors 0 to 5

Few days and electricals power on/off, we tried a complete erase with a bulk erase command. The device seems to be stuck in the erase process (the WIP is always 1, we check the status register more than 3min after the bulk erase command). Impossible to send another command even after 1h, only an electrical reset give us the possibity to send write command.

We found that we can't erase the sector 7 with the sector erase command. All other one can be erased.

We are asking if all sectors are ckecked before.

Thanks

Sebastien

5 REPLIES 5
Posted on April 09, 2018 at 14:32

Likely a discussion you'd want to have directly with the sales/support engineers servicing your business account.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on April 10, 2018 at 07:21

ST does not manufacture serial FLASH memories since quite a long time, maybe a decade or so. It had been spun off into Numonyx, which in turn has been gulped by Micron.

The M25P are really old device, there are much better out there with more flexible sector arrangement, and other improvements (and possibly cheaper, too). I faintly recollect problems encountered when the power startup specifications were violated (see diagram in DS).

JW

Posted on June 13, 2018 at 08:46

OK the M25P is old. But does ST checked all sectors after production. We want to know if we have to check it in our side.

Thanks

Sebastien

Posted on June 13, 2018 at 10:07

It's very unlikely this will be answered in a public forum mainly served by the community (i.e. not by ST employees), and with focus on an entirely different product family.

You should contact ST directly (e.g. through the web support form), or through FAE.

Also, if the chips are physically not older than cca 10 years and don't bear the ST logo, you should better contact Micron with this question, as the current manufacturer of M25Pxx.

JW

Posted on June 14, 2018 at 18:35

Hi

sebastien.malmoustie

I suggest you to raise your question through our Online Support system:

https://my.st.com/ols#/ols/

(ensure you are already logged in on my.st.com beforehand)