cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sdcc support for standard peripheral library?

BSerb
Associate II

The standard library for stm8 can only use Cosmic, Raisonance and IAR compilers, which are all either non-free or limited in some way or another. Is there a plan to include support for sdcc (or at least a way to use it)?

9 REPLIES 9
Ozone
Lead

> Is there a plan to include support for sdcc (or at least a way to use it)?

From my limited experience with STM8 devices, I would say no.

STM8 devices seem to be almost unknown in the hobbyist/amateur world, I only know of commercial projects and devices.

Perhaps a ST employee can prove me wrong.

I would not put my trust in a SDCC version, but try to modifiy the existing lib code.

BTW, I used Raisonance at times for a commercial project. It worked, but I wouldn't really recommend it.

Hi,

the COSMIC "C" cross-compiler for STM8 is free without code limits, but with the only obligation of annual renewal of the license for use,

You can download it here:

http://www.cosmicsoftware.com/download.php

by clicking on the yellow area on "Download and Register"

Unfortunately it's only available for Windows machines.

Just for curiosity - why not switching to a core with better support, like the Cortex M0 ?

When working with the STM8 a few years ago, I got the impression ST does not target (care about) hobbyists at all. Guess this has not changed since.

It looks different for Cortex M devices.

Unfortunately it is so, but don't tell me that I only use MAC since 1985 and for professional reasons, I virtualized Windows 7 with Parallels.

However, as Ozone03 suggests, the problem could be solved, as I did, switching to the STM32 family in the various configurations and in this case on ST you find the development environment free, as well as for Windows, Linux Debian, also for MAC.

If you wish, you can download it from here:

https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/development-tools/software-development-tools/stm32-software-development-tools/stm32-ides/stm32cubeide.html

As a side note here:

Often, STM32 peripherals and STM8 peripherals are very similar or identical, and have the same address layout and functionality.

Re-use of working and proven silicon IP, makes sense. I've seen this with the UART peripheral between a STM8 and a STM32F0.

I actually like STM8 for its simplicity. STM32 is much more complex and ST pushes the HAL library which I don't like. I use them both, but STM8 is cheaper, comes in a smaller package, and it's easier to include in a project that doesn't need much processing power.

I agree.

Albeit the Cortex M0/M0+ devices are much less complex, compared to the ubiquitous M4/M7. And concerning price and packages, the M0 devices usually target the 8Bit sector, pitched as replacement.

The HAL/Cube, albeit nice for inexperienced beginners, is a disaster for commercial users on many levels. Consequently, many commercial users use their own lib, sometimes even the old SPL.