cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STLink V3 CANBUS bootloader over STM32CubeProgrammer problem

Linas L
Senior II

Hello,
In one of my boards I was planing to use CANBUS bootloader and STLink V3 with external canbus PHY to program MCU.

I was unable to program it, I can see STlink V3 does try to do some TX on CANBUS pin, but where is no packet available that could be decoded, just train of same duty cycle pulses.

Does any one had luck with STLink V3 and external CANBUS programming ? What I am doing wrong ?

• Yes, I added external TCAN1462VDRBRQ1 IC for programmer, and connected to RXD and TXD pins on STLINKV3_MDOS (RX 9, TX 10pin)
  • Yes, I enabled externally TCAN1462VDRBRQ1 to be in active mode all the time
  • Yes, I placed BOOT0 pin to high level when connecting power (same pin for power and BOOT)
  • YES, STM32U585 uses PB8+PB9 as per datasheet for canbus bootloader

CANBUS_MDOS.PNGCAN_PHY.PNG

BOOT.PNG

STLink.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @Linas L,

Thanks for your feedback,

I have submitted an internal ticket addressing your request to the dev team.

Internal ticket number: 167226 (This is an internal tracking number and is not accessible or usable by customers).

I'll keep you posted.

Maryem.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Linas L
Senior II

Anyone ?

Armand
ST Employee

Hello Linas,

Not sure to get your point, but if you tried to connect directly TCAN1462VDRBRQ1 CANH & CANL pins to STM32U585 PB8 & PB9 pins it won't work. You can either connect STLink-V3MODS pins 8&9 to STM32U585 PB8 & PB9 (no need to perform a real CAN bus with a transceiver) or you have to add another CAN transceiver on STM32U585 side to go back at 3V3 level (and not stay at 5V CAN bus level with CANH & CANL)

Hope it will help.

Hello,
In my setup I was using normal canbus wiring, meaning:

STlinkV3 <->CANPHYCANPHY <->STM32U5

And I when flashed firmware on STM32 i can use canbus in my system, but when I boot STM32U5 with BOOT0 high, I can't get STM32CubeProgrammer to do anything. is there any information regarding how to do it ?

Armand
ST Employee

You can find some documentations with AN2606AN5405 or Here.

As I'm not a software guy, I think there are also differences between CAN and FDCAN bootloaders : STLink-V3MODS is CAN bootloader compatible while U5 has a FDCAN bootloader.

Best regards,

In same project I already implemented UART bootloader, so I am somewhat familiar with idea how they work. Just in this case I was hoping to avoid implementing it in CANBUS, since it will always be used by STLinkV3 hardware and probably running some script, so I don't have to deal with this while have faster upload times.

I guess I will try to throw some CANBUS messages and see if I get response from it.

Any idea when FDCAN bootloader will be implemented ?

Armand
ST Employee

Hello Linas,

Unfortunately the STLinks V3-SET or V3MODS (based on STM32F723) won't get FDCAN bootloader because the micro inside has no FDCAN.

The new STLINK-V3PWR (based on STM32H745) could have it, but I have no idea about the date it will be available.

Hello @Linas L,

Thanks for your feedback,

I have submitted an internal ticket addressing your request to the dev team.

Internal ticket number: 167226 (This is an internal tracking number and is not accessible or usable by customers).

I'll keep you posted.

Maryem.

KiwiNZ
Associate

Hi,

Any update on this please? I want to use the STM32H523 in a new product design but it is going to need CAN-FD programming capability.

Best Regards,

Shane