cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Erasing Chip Memory - Read Out Protection

RHuzy.1
Associate II

Hello everyone!

I work with a Nucleo board F446RE. One month ago i lended my board to one of my university collegue. After a while he gave me back my board, but i can't use it anymore.

When I try to flash a program with STM32Cube IDE it gives me an error saying:

Error message from debugger back end:

Error finishing flash operation

I find out that my collegue in some way activated the Read Out Protection, and I no way can disable it. I tried to erase chip memory with STM32 ST-LINK Utility, no way, I tried to change Option Byte from level 1to level 0, no luck, I even tried to change the Option Bythes with STM32 Cube Programmer (in RDP section i have FF) and write AA but even that didn't lead to success.

I'm desperate and don't know what to do. I've done a thousand of research in all types of forums no dice!

Anyone who can help me out?

6 REPLIES 6

Well if they set RDP 2 or otherwise broken the chip, then your option is to replace the board. Have your colleague buy one for you.

I would suggest you try strapping the VDD and BOOT0 (BT0) pins together so I doesn't run the user code, and try and come in with the ST-LINK Utilities to recover the device. Try the mass-erase options, and the option bytes. If you can't read the options bytes the device is likely locked out.

If that doesn't work you could perhaps use the J-LINK firmware for the ST-LINK, and see if any of Segger's recovery mechanisms are more productive.

https://www.segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-link/models/other-j-links/st-link-on-board/

0693W000008GDZSQA4.jpg

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
RHuzy.1
Associate II

Thank you for your help! I tied to put VDD and BOOT0 together + ST-LINK Utilities, and didn't work, in these days I'll try Segger's recovery method, hope that it will work, otherwise i'll get a new board from my colleague.

Thank you!!!

Piranha
Chief II

Try the Connect Under Reset mode.

Houda GHABRI
ST Employee

Hi @RHuzy.1​ ,

Can you please tell me if connecting under reset as suggested by @Piranha​  solve your issue?

Hope so ��

Houda

Signs pointing to No on this one..

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
RHuzy.1
Associate II

Yes, I tried to connect under reser mode, but doesn't work