cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[H723] What file formats are supported by the firmware update? Can I find out more about the update?

june
Associate III

H723ZGT6 Nucleo-144

CubeMX 6.3.0

CubePro​grammer

[ data sheet ]

H723: DS13313 Rev2

[Reference manual]

H723: RM0488 Rev2

[User Manual]

H723: UM2407 Rev 2

I'm currently investigating to implement the update feature.

This time I will not use the built-in boot loader.

So I can't even use STCubeProgrammer.

The CubeProgrammer User's Manual states that the following file formats are supported:

[ bin, binary, hex, srec, elf, out,axf ]​

Also, I was able to confirm the same with Cube Programmer.

0693W00000JOxHoQAL.png

​I checked the H723 reference manual, user guide, and datasheet, but couldn't find a supported file format.

Does this mean that the file formats supported by the H723 are the same as those supported by the Cube Programmer?

Please let me know if there is an explanation somewhere in the bibliography.

Or, if the reference materials etc. describe the detailed operation when creating a hex file with Cube Programmer, please let us know.

I would like to know how CubeProgrammer specifically updates the firmware.

( Isn't the hex file sent directly to H723? ?? I don't understand )​

1. Does this mean that the file formats supported by the H723 are the same as those supported by the cube programmer?

Please let me know if there is an explanation somewhere in the H723 reference.

2. Where are the detailed steps for the cube programmer to update the firmware to H723?

If so, please tell me which reference

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SofLit
ST Employee

And if you plan to program your device with hex file or other formats without CubeProgrammer you have to develop your own programmer tool which analyzes the file content and then program the flash.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SofLit
ST Employee

Dear @june​ ,

Tools usage is not part of Reference Manual of products.

For STM32CubeProgrammer documentation, you can refer to its user manual UM2237.

Normally, these file formats are supported by all STM32 devices. 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
SofLit
ST Employee

And if you plan to program your device with hex file or other formats without CubeProgrammer you have to develop your own programmer tool which analyzes the file content and then program the flash.

june
Associate III

Thanks to you, I was able to move forward a little.

In the end, I ended up developing my own programmer tool for programming Flash.

The part itself​ doesn't understand formats, the external tools digest the formats and push small packets of binary data.

Your own code on the STM32 could ingest what ever formats you are willing to code support for. Binary or simple packaged binaries (ie DFU or minimalist object)

Coding for Intel or Motorola hex isn't unduly complex, but the data tends to be 2.5x larger than binary.

P​eople frequently used X/Y-Modem to push binary/packaged data as the PC side terminal software already supporting those protocols is readily available.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Thank you for your reply.

When I posted the question, I thought there was a file format limitation on the STM32 side.(This was a mistake)

Thanks to the advice, my understanding has improved.

After all, I decided to write my own PC application to send the binary data