cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Upload/flash STM32 F0 works than Error: No STM32 target found! If your product embeds

Gamma5922
Associate II

Hi STM Devs.

I'm currently testing the: STM 32F030F4P6 and STM32 F030K6T6

With the STM32CubeProgrammer and ST-Link v2 I could flash the MCUs the first time, but than all other trys run into the following Error Message

"Error: No STM32 target found! If your product embeds Debug Authentication, please perform a discovery using Debug Authentication"

This behaviour i had on the two mentioned MCUs.

I've tried so far:

Switching the Modes and Reset Modes in STM32CubeProgrammer - but no success

Any other Ideas?

Thanks for your help

ps.: UART gives me this error
Error: Activating device: KO. Please, verify the boot mode configuration and check the serial port configuration. Reset your device then try again..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It's still not clear if you're actually in boot mode. Did you hold BOOT0 during reset? If you are, and the UART works, it will work.

But all of this is a little bit silly. If you want to develop, use an actual programmer with an SWD connection, otherwise you end up debugging stuff like this for hours on end.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @Gamma5922 and welcome to the ST Community 😊.

Make sure that your STLink firmware is upgraded. Also, check the USB cable that you are using.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hey

updated the Firmware to V2J43S7

Changed USB Ports and also tried another ST-Link. 

I tried a third MCU same behaviour! I'm making here some general mistake, but can't see what I'm missing here!

Best Regards

TDK
Guru

If your chip goes into low power modes or re-assigns the SWD pins, you will see this behavior. What does your firmware do?

Are these custom boards? Is NRST connected to the programmer? If so, connect under reset should work.

You can generally recover by connecting under reset, or by booting into the bootloader and programming from there.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
TDK
Guru

> ps.: UART gives me this error
> Error: Activating device: KO. Please, verify the boot mode configuration and check the serial port configuration. Reset your device then try again..

Suggests you are trying to connect to the UART bootloader, not the general SWD programming connection. What mechanism do you have for ensuring the board boots up into the bootloader?

The empty flash check on some chips in the STM32F0 series ensures the bootloader is started when the flash is empty. Once you program it, that is no longer the case and the UART bootloader cannot be reached by default. Although the reference manual says this is only on the STM32F070x6 and STM32F030xC chips.

Using the SWD connection for programming/debug is the more productive route.

The low pin count devices can be particularly difficult due to multiple pads being bonded to single pins.

Watch PA13 / PA14 pin usages specifically.

Watch for difficulty in getting to BOOT0 pin

Create code with ESCAPE METHODS, ie some user interaction you can manage via a pin or USART that will MASS ERASE the part back to original delivery state so you can recover and reprogram if you get something wrong. It will save you days, and parts

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Gamma5922
Associate II

Hi,

thanks for your replys

• My approach was: Connecting a fresh 32F030F4P6 and connect with STM32CubeProgrammer via ST-Link v2 clone which worked!
  • The F030K6T6 is in an adapter which can be connected via jumper cables.
  • Than I flashed with "https://github.com/stm32duino/Arduino_Core_STM32" a simple LED Blink example. That also worked.
  • But after than, no connection can be established via STM32 Cube Programmer

Hardware:

• I have soldered the 32F030F4P6 to a breakout board (no comments about my soldering skills :D). 
  • NRST /pin4 -> RST ST-Link V2
  • PA14 / pin20  = SWCLK
  • PA13/19 = SWIDO
  • 3,3 or 5V to VDD/16
  • GND = VSS / 15

STM32CubeProgrammer
  • I've tried the following: Boot0 /pin1 is connected to VCC and than I plugged in the ST-Link and open this connection for setting the mcu into boot mode. But also this has no change
  • different Settings under Mode and Reset Mode
  •  

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Hello again @Gamma5922 

ST resources are dedicated to support genuine ST-Link products. We are not committed to ensure that clones are properly working with the firmware that we are delivering. The ST-Link v2 clone that you are using may be damaged. I suggest you to try using a genuine one.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hey fair enough, but this doesn't explain the UART problem?

It's still not clear if you're actually in boot mode. Did you hold BOOT0 during reset? If you are, and the UART works, it will work.

But all of this is a little bit silly. If you want to develop, use an actual programmer with an SWD connection, otherwise you end up debugging stuff like this for hours on end.