cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DfuSe does not read the device

MAlsu.1
Associate

Hi there,

I applied the DfuSe Demo to connect it to the NanoVna and make somemeasurements.

But, when I connected the NanoVna I had no luck; I mean the DfuSe does not read the device.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @MAlsu.1​, to the community!

The NanoVNA was already released five years ago by a Japanese developer and is using an STM32F072C8T6, but it is not a product of STMicroelectronics. In the meantime, many ST tools have been further developed, e.g. DfuSe and other programming tools have been replaced by the STM32CubeProgrammer.

However, the developer of NanoVNA also writes in his documentation that it can also be programmed via SWD. If you have further questions, the community of NanoVNA will surely be able to help you.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @MAlsu.1​, to the community!

The NanoVNA was already released five years ago by a Japanese developer and is using an STM32F072C8T6, but it is not a product of STMicroelectronics. In the meantime, many ST tools have been further developed, e.g. DfuSe and other programming tools have been replaced by the STM32CubeProgrammer.

However, the developer of NanoVNA also writes in his documentation that it can also be programmed via SWD. If you have further questions, the community of NanoVNA will surely be able to help you.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
JS2OLO
Associate II

Hello Peter,

Thank you for answering my inquiry.  I'm still having difficulty, however.  After all the cumbersome steps to obtain it have been done the STM32CubeProgrammer still refuses to download.  I've tried it several times now and the result is always the same.  The DfuSeDemo program reads my device fine, it just won't "choose" the dfu file when the time comes to install it.  Am I doing something wrong?

What exactly is "SWD" and how do I use it?   Is that now my only option?

Also, I'm seriously considering giving up on the entire process.  I don't yet know what advantages/disadvantages the latest ver 1.2.29 has over my ver 1.2.27. If the changes are not significant, and future changes are not envisioned, then it's not worth my time to proceed with the process any further.  That rather disappointingly makes it a dead product before I've had a chance to use it.  Have other people come to this same conclusion?  

Finally, why is the process so difficult?  Isn't it in ST's interest to iron out the bugs and not on rely on community groups to do their work for them?

/Bruce

@JS2OLO wrote:

Isn't it in ST's interest to iron out the bugs and not on rely on community groups to do their work for them?

As @Peter BENSCH already explained, NanoVNA is not an ST product - so  ST shouldn't be expected to support it.

The ST tools are designed for developers creating products based on ST's chips - they are not aimed at end-users.

It's down to the product developers to provide support to their end-users.

OK. That explains why the NanoVNA was not listed on ST's website as one of their products. So, if I understand this correctly, ST made the development tools and some of the chips, the device itself was made in China by a company called ZeenCo, and I bought it from a Japanese distributor called Switch Science, Inc.  Asian business relationships at its inscrutable best.  As I live in Asia I don't mind this (in fact, I rather admire how inclusive it is), but it does make me wonder how I would obtain warranty service should I ever need it.  So far, however, mine seems to be working fine minus the firmware issue.

I found the wiki page and am now reviewing the firmware upgrade discussions.

Thanks.

@JS2OLO wrote:

So, if I understand this correctly, ST made the development tools and some of the chips, the device itself was made in China by a company called ZeenC

Exactly.

As it happens, my dishwasher has an STM32 in it - but I wouldn't expect ST to give support for problems with my dishwasher!