cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug in STM32CubeProgrammer: Can't close the app using the upper right "X" button if no target hardware has been detected.

DNick.1
Associate II

I had to use Task Manager to close the program by selecting "Java (TM) Platform SE binary" as the name "STM32CubeProgrammer" does not appear in the Name column of Task Manager.

I discovered this on a Windows 10 machine.

9 REPLIES 9
LMI2
Lead

I have also noticed this in Windows 7. Usually it helps if I click that X again.

Hello @DNick.1​ 

Which STM32CubeProgrammer version do you use.

Best regards,

Nesrine

LMI2
Lead

I hope DNick answers, I couldn't find this discussion when I searched for LMI2. I only found some posts from year 2019.

DNick.1
Associate II

I'm using version 2.4.0 of STM32CubeProgrammer.

The problem occurs with either a ST-Link V2 or V3 connected, but no target hardware detected by ST-Link.

Hello @DNick.1​ 

I've never experienced this kind of problem. 

Did you have this problem always or only with version 2.4.0 of STM32CubeProgrammer ? 

Which Java version do you use.

Best regards,

Nesrine

DNick.1
Associate II

Hi Nesrine,

I have never used STM32CubeProgammer before v2.4.0 so I don't know if it happened with earlier builds.

The version of Java on my machine is Version 8 Update 251 (build 1.8.0_251-b08) as reported in the "About Java" window on my system.

After I wrote up that bug report and posted it, I noticed that at least one other poster reported the same problem earlier. So, I apologize for the duplicate report.

FYI, my system runs Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

There is one other more serious problem I have with STM32CubeProgrammer that is blocking me right now. I can't figure out how to use the tool to clear the EEPROM on a STM32L031C6 part (I submitted that in a separate post) ... can you help me get past that issue ASAP?

Thanks,

Doyle Nickless

Hello @DNick.1​ 

To clear the EEPROM on a STM32L031C6 part try these steps:

1. Activate external flash loader attached to the EEPROM
  2. Erase external memory (check the full ship erase button)

Best regards,

Nesrine

Hi Nesrine,

Please see this topic:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W000006Hj9rSAC/how-to-erase-eeprom-in-an-stm32l0series-part-using-stm32cubeprogrammer

where I asked the specific question about erasing EEPROM.

Using the old ST-LINK utility it was possible to erase the EEPROM using the Flash Memory Mapping window, shown below:

Note the entry at the bottom of the list is labeled "Data Memory (Bank1)" and is 1 KB in size. This is the EEPROM in the part.

However, the same function in STM32CubeProgrammer doesn't show that "Data Memory" selection. This should not require use of an external loader, since the EEPROM is inside the MCU.

Would it be possible to submit a feature request to show the EEPROM as a selection in STM32CubeProgrammer similar to what was in ST-Link? It could be at the bottom of the "Erase flash memory" tab list, or better yet, add a tab labeled "Erase EEPROM" which would appear any time the connected target MCU contains EEPROM in its memory map.

I'm getting this problem too, on a clean Win 10 1909, having just installed the s/w and ST-Link V2 but no hardware (all boxed up to go back to work).

OS is 64-bit but Java is 1.8.0_25 32-bit.