cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the use of ST's Middlewares is soo haaaaard? STM32WLE5 CMSIS DSP LoRa

lemke.a.w
Associate III

I'm trying to use the DSP Library on the STM32WLE5CCU6 and some error messages appear on STM32CubeIDE. I have the same code tested and running on STM32F103C8T6 and STM32F407VET6 without any problem.

lemkeaw_0-1714512816698.png

STM32CubeIDE Version: 1.14.0 Build: 19471_20231121_1200 (UTC)

STM32CubeMX Version 6.10.0

STM32CubeWL Firmware Package v1.3.0 / 09-November-2022

STMicroelectronics.X-CUBE-ALGOBUILD DSP Library Library 1.3.0

I'm seriously thinking about switching to using any other STM32 with an external SX1262 chip via SPI interface than the STM32WL with its related libraries. The LoRa middleware is impossible to work with, I am forced to provide an UART interface  (Why not use SWV / ITM interface ?) and the ADC , I cannot disable it.

This kind of thing sometimes makes me think about giving up on ST!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @lemke.a.w 

I suggest you follow the same steps on the FAQ recommended by my colleague @Amel NASRI  but on the step:

From Project menu or File menugo to Properties > C/C++ Build > Settings > Tool Settings > MCU CGC Linker > Libraries > Libraries (-l) > Add insert the following library: "arm_cortexM4l_math" and not the "arm_cortexM4l_math".

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

This looks to be a disparity between the build settings for the RAK3172 project, and the library.

ie FPU enabled and the appropriate softfp / hardfp option for the ABI, likely buried in the meta-data or target settings

https://www.gurucoding.com/rpi_cross_compiler/2012/04_diff_hardfp_softfp/

Yeah, a lot of this could do with real-world testing, not just ST boards/hardware. I often find the need to bludgeon libraries (middleware or related shim code) into a form that's remotely shippable.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
lemke.a.w
Associate III

Any simple workaround? STM32CubeIDE step by step configuration? Will I not be able to use the DSP CMSIS package on the STM32WLE5? I really need to understand how the compiler and "ABI" works to implement a simple filter routine? The company abandoned the STM32WLE5 series chips (1.3.0 / 09-November-2022) 

Every day I see the company launch a new chip. But it cannot maintain a simple silicon with its respective framework in a completely functional way with all the resources it offers!

lemke.a.w
Associate III
lemke.a.w
Associate III

company abandoned the STM32WLE5 series chips

Hmm, these are -- wrong ?

https://www.st.com/en/microcontrollers-microprocessors/stm32wlex/products.html

> Will I not be able to use the DSP CMSIS

From error shown -> you mix a lib that is using hardware FPU with other, using that uses only software float lib.

This wont work (I know....guess why ?) , according to the basic project you have to set your cpu compiler options (hard, soft, mix) and if choose some cmsis DSP lib, you have to take one for this setting.

>Every day I see the company launch a new chip. But it cannot maintain...

Agree, obviously its more easy, to puzzle together a new chip, than to make a good and error free ( 🙂 ) lib for every chip variant. But i think, not only a "STM problem" , others more or less same.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Hi @lemke.a.w ,

I'm sorry for the discouraging experience you got with our ecosystem.

At ST, we are doing our best to make the experience with our products easier. But sometimes the end user application includes several components that require investigation, like your case it seems.

Let us first try to include the DSP library in your project following the steps described here.

Once done and there is no compilation issue, try to include other libraries later.

Let me know how it is going on.

-Amel

PS: Please avoid mentioning several ST Employees as this topic may be out of their area of expertise or current scope.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

No solution, the same problem occurred following the steps in the tutorial.

The same problem when I use CubeMX ALGOBUILD 1.3.0 DSP Library, without LoRa libraries too.

lemkeaw_0-1715004435749.png

lemkeaw_1-1715004490191.png

Thanks @Amel NASRI !

Hello @lemke.a.w 

I suggest you follow the same steps on the FAQ recommended by my colleague @Amel NASRI  but on the step:

From Project menu or File menugo to Properties > C/C++ Build > Settings > Tool Settings > MCU CGC Linker > Libraries > Libraries (-l) > Add insert the following library: "arm_cortexM4l_math" and not the "arm_cortexM4l_math".

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

Hello @STTwo-32 !

lemkeaw_0-1715219370434.png

It works like a charm! The correct is "arm_cortexM4l_math" instead of "arm_cortexM4lf_math".

CubeMXeSimulink.PNG

Could it be related to the STM32WLE5 not having FPU?

Thanks @Tesla DeLorean@AScha.3 , especially @STTwo-32 and @Amel NASR, I really have no words to thank you.